Zojo-ji Temple 三縁山増上寺
The temple and the city
With forty-eight temples and one hundred fifty buildings, the huge Zojo-ji site was formerly city office in the city.
Buddhist chambers and vermilion temples seem to come into dialog with the garish colors of Tokyo Tower, which it overlooks. But the postcard stops there. Built in 1393, moved to its present location in 1598, Zojo-ji remains the ancestor of the neighborhood. Steeped in history, this symbolic symbol has had a strong influence. Founded by Yuyo Shoso (1366-1440), the eighth patriarch of the Jodo sect (Pure Land sect), Zojo-ji is still receiving pilgrims.
The Daibonsho Rings Twice
The seventeenth century saw Zojo-ji become a major religious site and the teachings were delivered to three thousand students residing there. At the beginning of the Edo period (1603-1868), it gained an imperial dimension, becoming the place of worship of the Tokugawa family, and has their mausoleum, which can still be visited today.
Three fires and especially the American air raids of the Second World War destroyed the main monuments of the site, and the last reconstruction occurred in 1974. Only Sangedatsu-mon main gate, erected in 1622, has stood the test of time. The Daibonsho, a massive bell sounded in the morning and evening, and Daiden, the largest temple, let you imagine the meetings of a religious order once very powerful. A representation of Honen Shonin, the founder of the sect, also sits on display.