Book your Regional Japan Rail Pass
- Economic and simple
- Unlimited travel
Order your Regional PassEdit
EAST NAGANO-NIIGATA AREA PASS
The East Nagano-Niigata Area Pass allows passengers to travel on the JR East lines between Tokyo and the cities of Nagano and Niigata. It also allows travellers to take the train between Haneda or Narita airport and Tokyo. The pass is valid for 5 consecutive days, from the start date of validity indicated at the time of the exchange.
The pass allows travellers to travel within the following areas: Tokyo (most notably Ueno Station), Omiya, Utsunomiya, Nasushirobara, Nikko, Takasaki, Karuizawa, Sakudaira, Nagano, Joetsumyoko, Echigo-Yuzawa, GALA Yuzawa, and Niigata.
A child price (6 to 11 years of age) is available for this pass. Access to trains is free for accompanied infants aged 5 years or under.
The JR East Nagano/Niigata Area Pass is sold as an e-ticket. We do not send a physical document by mail. Your voucher will only be delivered to you by email once your reservation will be confirmed.
The Nagano-Niigata Region
Both coastal and mountainous cities, Nagano and Niigata are a taste of the countryside not too far from Tokyo. On the way to Nagano, explore Karuizawa, a luxurious hotspring resort. Further on, Nagano: made famous by the 1998 Winter Olympics, today it is a top spot for Buddhist pilgrimages and walks in the beautiful Japanese Alps.
Niigata, is an area well-known throughout Japan for its local produce such as rice. A modern city, it is also one of the most important fishing ports in Japan. This city is also the gateway to Sado Island, a special island where nature and hiking reign supreme.
Conditions of the JR East Nagano Niigata Area Pass
- Those who do NOT have a Japanese passport are eligible: non-Japanese tourists or foreign residents in Japan.
- Travelers must exchange the pass with a printed copy of their e-voucher within 3 months of the purchase date.
- To exchange the voucher for the pass you will need your passport.
- The start date of the pass can no longer be changed once the voucher has been exchanged.
JR Exchange Offices:
- Mito Station, Travel Service Center, 10:00 - 19:00 Monday through Friday, 10:00 - 17:00 weekends and holidays.
- Niigata Station, Travel Service Center, 10:00 - 19:00 Monday through Friday, 10:00 - 17:00 weekends and holidays.
- Nagano Station, Travel Service Center, 10:00 - 19:00 Monday through Friday, 10:00 - 17:30 weekends and holidays.
- Narita Airport Terminal 1, JR EAST Travel Service Center, daily from 8:15 to 19:00. JR Ticket Office, daily from 6:30 to 8:15 and 19:00 to 21:45.
- Narita Airport Terminals 2 and 3, JR East Travel Service Center, every day from 8:15 to 20:00. JR Ticket Office, every day from 6:30 to 8:15 and 20:00 to 21:45.
- Haneda Airport International Terminal, JR East Travel Service Center (Tokyo Monorail 2F Ticket Gate/Arrival Lobby), every day from 7:45 to 18:30.
- Tokyo Station, JR East Travel Service Center (Marunouchi North Exit), every day from 7:30 to 20:30.
- Shinagawa Station, Information Center (Central), every day from 9:00 to 19:00.
- Ueno Station, Information Center (Central), every day from 9:00 to 19:00.
- Shinjuku Station, JR East Travel Service Center (New South Exit), every day from 8:00 to 19:00. Information Center (East), every day from 9:00 to 19:00.
- Shibuya Station, Information Center (South), every day from 10:00 to 18:30.
- Ikebukuro Station, Information Center (Central), every day from 9:30 to 18:00.
- Yokohama Station, Travel Service Center, 10:00 to 20:00 Monday through Friday, 10:00 to 19:00 weekends and holidays.
What is included with the pass?
This pass covers the following trains:
- Trains on the JR East Limited Express lines, either local or express, between Tokyo and Nasushiobara, Tokyo and Niigata, as well as those between Tokyo and Joetsumyoko via Nagano. Travelers will also be able to travel between Tokyo and Nikko.
- The Tokyo Monorail between Haneda International Airport and Tokyo.
- The Narita Express between Narita International Airport and Tokyo.
- The Izku Kyuko line between Ito and Izukyu-Shimoda. The Hokuetsu Express line between Niigata and Joetsu.
- The Echigo TOKImeki rail line between Arai and Naoetsu.
- The Tobu Direct Limited Express trains "Nikko," "SPACIA Nikko," "Kinugawa," and "SPACIA Kinugawa" to travel to Nikko and Kinugawa Onsen.
- The Joetsu Shinkansen between Tokyo and Niigata, and the Hokuriku shinkansen between Tokyo and Joetsumyoko.
What is excluded with the pass?
- This pass does not allow travel on JR buses.
- This pass cannot be used on the Tokaido Shinkansen.
- Reservations can only be made after exchanging the voucher for the rail pass.
- With the JR East Niigata-Nagano Pass is possible to make reservations for Shinkansen and limited express on the JR East Website before arriving in Japan.
- With the pass, no additional fee is required when reserving seats.
- Non-reserved Ordinary Class cars can be accessed freely. In order to travel in first classes (Green Car or Gran Class), or on night cars, an extra fee is required.
- To access the platforms, show your pass to the staff located at the platform gates.
- To reserve a seat, ask the staff at the ticket office.
- It is a personal pass. Please always carry your passport when using the pass as station and train staff may check it.
- An unused voucher is refundable for one year from the date of issue.
- The voucher can be refunded if it has never been exchanged in Japan.
- A cancellation fee of 15% of the value of the voucher will be retained.
- No refund is possible for a voucher received by us more than one year from the date of issue.
- For lost e-tickets, please contact us for a new copy.