Japan family tour
- Duration : 14 days
- Locations : Tokyo, Hakone Mt Fuji, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Tokyo
Go on a "cheap" family trip to Japan!
This 2 week tour takes you to Tokyo, Mount Fuji, Kyoto and Nara, with the deer park that will delight parents and children alike. Then head to Tokyo via Kanazawa, the city of the samurai.
This tour includes accommodation in Japan Experience houses and ryokan, transportation, a special family tour in Tokyo and an evening tour in Kyoto.
2 week itinerary
- Tokyo (4 days)
- Hakone Mount-Fuji (1 day)
- Kyoto (4 days including 1 day in Nara or Hiroshima)
- Kanazawa (2 days)
- Tokyo (1 day)
The first and last day are reserved for your arrival and departure from Japan (and for the last bit of souvenir shopping!).
Please find below the itinerary details.
WARNING : The tour departure and end dates presented on this page relate to your stay in Japan. On departure, you will have to leave Europe on the day before. The return flight is on the same day due to the time difference. For further details, refer to "More about your trip".
Why this trip to Japan ?
- A tour in Japan specially designed for families, with appropriate accommodation and activities!
- Welcomed at the airport by our team, you will be taken to your hotel in Tokyo by shuttle bus
- In Tokyo, a travel angel will welcome you to your Japan Experience flat
- Afterwards, a guide will accompany you for a day with a special family-oriented programme!
- Head to the edge of Mount Fuji for an unforgettable dinner and overnight stay in a ryokan
- Travel by Shinkansen to Kyoto : a guided tour of the traditional geisha quarter awaits you
- In Kyoto and Kanazawa, stay in Japan Experience houses, more spacious than a hotel room!
- From Kyoto, you can explore the surrounding area with your transport passes: Nara, Hiroshima...
- Recommendations available in your travel diary
- Offer : enjoy unlimited internet access thanks to the pocket Wi-Fi
- If necessary, contact our Japanese bilingual English-speaking assistance 24/7
- A number of guided days or other optional activities are available
- Benefit from the expertise of Japan Experience, European leading travel agency in Japan.
Your trip in detail
Day 1 : Wake up in Tokyo 東京
Arrival at Tokyo airport (Narita or Haneda).
Welcome to Japan! Yokoso 日本へようこそ！
Pocket Wi-Fi collection at the airport.
Reception at the exit from Customs in English by our airport assistant, who will give you all your travel documents.
Unaccompanied transfer from the airport to your Japan Experience apartment!
Check in before 8 p.m. in your accommodation. A Travel Angel will welcome you, show you some unique details and help you to have an unforgettable stay in Tokyo. You will be able to "live the Japanese way" for a few days, with a space much bigger than a hotel room and a kitchen to prepare good Japanese food!
Day 2 : First steps in the capital
The metro pass included in your package will allow you to easily travel around the capital!
What is there to do in Tokyo on the first day?
We advise you to slowly start visiting Tokyo from its western districts:
- Harajuku: the avant-garde district
- Meiji Jingû, the imperial shrine
- Takeshita-Dori: the most famous street in Japan
- Omotesando: Tokyo's Champs-Élysées
- Shibuya and its unmistakable "crossroads"
One of our many experienced English-speaking guides can also accompany you to visit the classic sights of Tokyo (optional, from 9:00 to 17:00).
Day 3 : Now for some activity...
This day will be spent on a guided tour of Tokyo, specially designed for families.
Your English-speaking guide will pick you up at your accommodation at 9am to begin the full-day tour. From Ueno, Odaiba, Shibuya, or even Ginza, Tokyo is full of attractions that will please the young and the very young.
Day 4 : The big loop
For this third day of visiting Tokyo, we recommend the following "loop".
Start from Tokyo Central Station, with its original architecture, then go to visit:
- Ginza, Tokyo's chic district
- Tsukiji, the small outdoor food market
- Hamarikyu, the Japanese garden between Tokyo's buildings
- Asakusa, a traditional district and place of pilgrimage, accessible by a cruise on the Sumida River
- Sensô-ji Buddhist temple, one of the oldest in the city
- Tokyo Sky Tree reaching a height of 643m, and its panoramic view of Tokyo at sunset
Enjoy a cruise on the Sumida River between Hamarikyu and Asakusa.
Day 5 : Back to the future
Travel back in time for this 4th day:
- Yanaka, the old Tokyo
- Ueno, the place of resistance of the last Samurai, and its park full of cherry trees
- Akihabara, the electronic and manga district
- Odaiba, the island of futuristic entertainment in Tokyo Bay
As an option, treat yourself to a day at Disneyland Tokyo or the Hello Kitty Park, both accessible in 45 minutes by metro from your flat (1 change).
Day 6 : On the way to visit the emblem of Japan: Mount Fuji!
Head to Hakone (1.5 hour journey from Shinjuku station, 1 change, included in your package).
You will be charmed by the magnificent scenery of this spa resort, Lake Ashi and its view of Mount Fuji (in good weather!). Not forgetting the volcanic site of Owakudani, accessible by cable car.
If you wish to be accompanied for this day, one of our English-speaking guides will reveal all the secrets of the Mount Fuji region.
Check-in at your ryokan. At night at the ryokan, you will be treated to a tasty traditional Japanese dinner before retiring to your tatami room.
Day 7 : The former capital
Traditional Japanese breakfast at the ryokan.
In 2h30, reach Kyoto (by Shinkansen, included in your package).
From noon onwards, you can settle into your traditional Japan Experience house. Just like in Tokyo, a travel angel will welcome you.
You have 4 days to visit Kyoto.
Start in the afternoon in the historic Gion district near your accommodation :
- Kiyomizu-Dera, the great water temple
- The historical streets of Sannen-zaka & Ninnen-zaka
- Kodai-ji, the maple and bamboo temple of Kyoto
Finish off seeing the sunset in Gion.
Meet your guide at 19:00 to start your late stroll around Gion, Kyoto's historic district.
More details on the exact time and location in your travel diary. At the end of this 1 hour 30 walk, your guide will be able to advise you on the best places to eat out! Please note that it is strictly forbidden to take photographs in the historic district of Gion.
Day 8 : Gold and Silver Treasures
We recommend the following itinerary for this second day's visit to Kyoto:
- Ryoan-ji Zen Garden
- The Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion)
- Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion)
- The bewitching path of philosophy
- The Nanzen-ji temple
One of our many experienced English-speaking guides can accompany you on a tour of these symbolic sites (optional, from 9:00 to 17:00).
Day 9 : Now for some activity...
This is your last full day to visit Kyoto, so make the most of our many optional activities:
- Want to enjoy nature? Check out our cycling activities along the Kamogawa River or hiking in the Takao Gorge!
- Prefer Japanese arts? Tea ceremonies, meditation activities or private visits to secret gardens will seduce you.
- Looking for Japanese countryside? Let yourself be tempted by a trip to Ohara, or try our flagship activity: on the Tea Road!!
If you wish to visit at your own pace, continue exploring Kyoto's 2000 unique temples, shrines and gardens!
You can also head to Hiroshima (2 hours, direct journey by Shinkansen high-speed train, included in your package), to visit the park and peace memorial.
Day 10 : Between temples and deer
For your last day in Kyoto and its surroundings, we recommend taking the 50 minute journey to Nara, which is included in your package.
Visit to Nara, the first permanent capital of Japan in the 8th century.
- The Shinto shrine Kasuga Taisha and its thousands of lanterns
- The Todaiji, its great bronze Buddha and the imposing Nan-Daimon gate
- Kofukuji temple and its beautiful pagoda
Return to Kyoto and stop for sunset at Fushimi Inari, the huge 10,000 torii sanctuary in Kyoto. If you wish to be accompanied on this day, one of our English-speaking guides will unveil all the secrets of Japan's first capital (optional, return trip from Kyoto).
Final night in your traditional Kyoto house.
Day 11 : Head for the Sea of Japan!
Departure by train to Kanazawa in the morning (2 hours 10, direct train, included in your package).
From noon onwards, you can settle into your traditional Japan Experience house! Once again, you will meet a travel angel Japan Experience with whom you can discuss your stay.
Explore Kanazawa, between the North Sea and the Japanese Alps:
- Kenroku-en, the beautiful Japanese garden of Kanazawa
- The contemporary art museum and its outdoor gallery
- Omicho, the sea of Japan fish market
- The Nomura house, residence of the samurai and its picturesque old quarter
Night in your traditional Kanazawa house.
Day 12 : Rural & Mountain
For this day several options are available to you:
- Continue visiting Kanazawa (optional, English-speaking guide for one day).
- Discover the Noto Peninsula's Japanese countryside with one of our guides (optional).
- Visit to Shirakawago, a typical village in the Japanese Alps, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site (1h15 minutes by bus, tickets optional).
Day 13 : Return to Tokyo
Departure to Tokyo in the morning (2 hours 30) by Shinkansen high-speed train, included in your package.
Check into your OMO3 Tokyo Akasaka by Hoshino Resorts hotel or equivalent.
Make the most of this last day to do your last bits of shopping and start packing your bags...
Day 14 : Sayonara, and see you next time!
Transfer to Haneda or Narita airport (included but not accompanied).
Return flight to Europe, North America, Australia.
Do not hesitate to extend your trip by one or more days to Tokyo, or elsewhere… We will be able to advise you!
- 5 nights in a traditional Tokyo house
- 1 night in a 3* ryokan in Hakone Mount Fuji, traditional half-board
- 4 nights in a traditional Kyoto house
- 2 nights in a traditional Kanazawa house
- 1 night in a 3* hotel in the heart of Tokyo, close to public transport
The basic rate includes a twin room for two people.
- Airport transfers
- Prepaid public transport card
- Japan Rail Pass for 7 days
- Tokyo Metro Pass for 3 days
- Hakone Free Pass for 2 days
Experiences and meals
- Airport welcome
- Welcome to Tokyo, Kyoto and Kanazawa by a travel angel
- Discounts at many Hakone tourist sites
- Traditional dinner and breakfast in the ryokan at Hakone
- Special family day tour of Tokyo
-Guided night tour of Gion
Included in your self-guided tour
- Unlimited Wi-Fi access with pocket Wi-Fi
- Complete e-travel diary sent 20 days before your departure
- 24/7 telephone assistance in English and bilingual Japanese
Not included in the price of your trip
- Flights Europe <> Japan
- Optional insurance policies
- Personal expenses including meals (breakfast optional)
- Public transport when your transport cards have run out (see details)
- Anything not included in the "included in your tour" section
Your tour :
- The prices displayed on this page may vary according to the exchange rate of the Japanese ¥.
- Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible to people with reduced mobility.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Children and babies accepted. From 3 to 11 years old a child rate is offered. In each accommodation, a standard adult bed will be offered to them, and a standard seat will be allocated to them in transport. From 0 to 2 years old inclusive, a "baby" rate is offered. This price corresponds to the allocation of a cot in the majority of the accommodation of the chosen circuit. However, we cannot guarantee a baby cot in each accommodation.
- This programme is subject to change due to circumstances such as weather conditions or any other case of force majeure. Please note that due to the current circumstances, any information mentioned is subject to change or modification.
- Your travel documents will be given to you as follows:
- Travel diary by email 3 weeks before departure, and other electronic documents
- Paper documents (airport transfer ticket, transportation card, Japan Rail Pass voucher) and Pocket WiFi upon arrival at the airport by our airport assistant.
- As this tour is designed for families (at least one adult with at least one child/teenager), it is not possible for individual people to book this tour. We recommend the "Solo Japan" tour or any other tour accessible to solo travellers.
Your accommodation :
- Some hotels may ask you to pay a tourist tax on arrival. This depends on the city and even the hotel, as some do not include it in the booking price. Normally, it is 200¥/night/person (about £1.37/1.93$) but can be slightly higher in 4* hotels. It must be paid in cash at the hotel reception. For traditional Japan Experience accommodations, it is included in the initial tour price.
- Room size: in Japan, a densely populated country where everything is compact, 3-star luxury hotels are of very good quality but the rooms are often quite narrow (12 to 20m2/129 sq ft to 215 sq ft) depending on the hotel. Please note the size of the single room, between 10 and 16m2 (107sq ft and 172 fq ft). For more comfort, you can choose our luxury 4* accommodation upgrade option.
- All of them have private dining rooms, kitchens and bathrooms, in addition to the bedrooms. A washing machine and Wi-Fi are also available within the accommodation. In all houses, bed linen and towels are provided, and the price includes travel angel service, tourist tax and cleaning at the end of the stay.
- Traditional apartment in Tokyo: located in an apartment building with a lift in the lively, well-connected district of Ikebukuro. Close to all amenities.
- Traditional house in Kyoto : Most of them are either located in the historical district of Gion or on the edge of the Path of Philosophy and the Silver Temple.
- Japan Experience Traditional House in Kanazawa: located in the city centre.
- In the ryokan in Hakone, guests sleep on comfortable futons placed on the tatami mat. The room has a private sink and toilet. As is customary in Japanese ryokan, the onsen bathroom is shared (not mixed) unless you take the "private bathroom in the room" option.
OPTIONAL: Enjoy a private Japanese bathroom (traditional or modern onsen) in your room. This option is recommended for mixed couples, families, people who are modest or have visible tattoos.
The 4* ryokan (see 4* option) have comfortable futons raised on either western beds in a traditional tatami room. The bathrooms and toilets of the 4* ryokans are private. In this traditional accommodation, people under the same reservation are grouped together in spacious rooms that can accommodate up to 5 people.
- Hotel in Tokyo :
- Room size: in Japan, a densely populated country where everything is compact, 3-star luxury hotels are of very good quality but the rooms are often quite narrow (12 to 20m2) depending on the hotel. Please note the size of the single room, between 10 and 16m2. For more comfort, you can choose our luxury 4* accommodation upgrade option.
- Double room: Rooms for two people in western hotels have 2 single beds (twin rooms) by default, which can usually be joined together. As an option, you can select a double room instead of a twin if you prefer a double bed.
- Single room: People travelling alone and wishing to book a single room must pay a supplement at the time of booking. The single room supplement is compulsory for orders with an odd number of participants. Please note that if you request more than two people in a single room, the single room supplement will be applied to all accommodation except for the ryokans (3 and 4*). In fact, as this is traditional accommodation, people with the same reservation are grouped together in spacious rooms for up to 5 people.
- 3-person room: If there are 3, 5 or more of you and you do not select the single supplement, a triple room will be allocated to you.
- In the case of a group order (> 5 people), it is possible, depending on hotel availability, that not all members of the group will be accommodated in the same hotel. Nevertheless, we aim to keep you close.
- Names of the hotels : The names given on the site are for information only. In the event of unavailability, an establishment of equivalent standing will be scheduled. Hotels, corresponding to local standards, are given as an indication and may be changed on site for hotels of a similar category.
Your transport :
- Flights are not included in this tour. Do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to include flights in your order: Flights in economy class with stopovers or direct flights, eco-premium or business air upgrades, provincial departures or abroad: we will be able to advise you.
- The tour departure and end dates presented on this page relate to your stay in Japan. You will arrive in Japan via Tokyo (Narita or Haneda airports) and will also leave from Tokyo. You will have to leave Europe the day before and land at 6:30pm at the latest to make the most of the airport services of your tour (welcome and transfer to Tokyo). The return flight is on the same day due to the time difference, with a departure time of 9am at the earliest. Please do not hesitate to consult us for any uncertainty or need for precision in the choice of international flights.
- Airport transfers: The shared shuttle bus leaves from the airport and stops either in front of your hotel or at a stop located between 1 and 15 min walk from your hotel. Our airport assistant in Tokyo will drive you to the platform to take the airport transfer. Afterwards, this hotel transfer is unassisted. If you would like to be accompanied from the airport to your hotel reception please choose the option "Accompanied Airport Transfer". Same for the return transfer.
- Included in your tour is a pre-charged transport prepayment card of ¥ 1,500 (around £10.30 / 14.54$) (suica or Pasmo brand); a 7-day Japan Rail Pass, a Tokyo Metro Pass for 3 days and a Hakone Free Pass for 2 days. These 4 cards should cover a large part of your trips during the stay. Upon expiry of the 1,500¥ Transport Prepayment Card, or if the line you are travelling on is not covered by your Japan Rail Pass, any travel will be at your own expense by recharging your pre-paid transport card (at vending machines in all stations and metro stations). A metro ticket in Tokyo costs around €2, depending on the length of the journey).
- The Japan Rail Pass is a personal train pass for foreign travellers who wish to visit Japan. This pass allows unlimited travel for 7 consecutive days on all Japan Railways (JR) trains throughout Japan. You will receive a voucher to be exchanged at a JR office when you are welcomed at the airport by our assistant (list of addresses provided in your travel guide). You will be asked to show your passport and fill in a form. During this exchange, you will select the start date of your pass. Once your Pass has been activated, it will be valid for 7 consecutive days from the date chosen. To prevent wasting time when you arrive at the airport, you are requested to exchange your voucher upon arrival in Tokyo City. This is because exchanging it at the airport could delay your airport shuttle. With your Japan Rail Pass in hand, just go to the station, show your pass to the ticket inspector at the entrance gates and board any JR train. Trains in Japan are almost all open seating. If you are worried about not having a seat (on a shinkansen for example), simply go to a ticket office and reserve your seat at no extra charge. The Japan Rail Pass covers all JR and Shinkansen lines in Japan. The following journeys are not covered:
- Travel by metro and bus in the cities (payable by pre-paid transport card, included in your package)
- Transfers from the train station to the hotels (by foot, bus, metro or taxi)
- Travel on private train lines (other than JR)
- Travel on Nozomi and Mizuho high-speed trains (shinkansen)
- Trips made outside the validity period of the Japan Rail Pass
- Japan Rail Pass: It is not necessary to possess a Japan Rail Pass which covers your entire stay. This is only cost-effective if it is used for long journeys between the different stages of your stay (especially in shinkansen) which are very expensive. In large cities like Tokyo, only about ⅓ of public transport is covered by the Japan Rail Pass and getting around is relatively cheap (Tokyo metro tickets: £1.71 / 2.42$; Kyoto daily bus card: £4.28 / 5.97$). Thus, providing you with a Japan Rail Pass for more than 7 days (14 or 21) would not be cost-effective and, on the contrary, would significantly increase the cost of your trip.
- If a person taking part in the tour is a Japanese national and a resident of Japan, or a foreigner with tax residence in Japan (including a student), then that person is not eligible for the Japan Rail Pass. Please contact us to get the price of the tour without a Japan Rail Pass. They will have to buy the train tickets for the tour directly in Japan. The Kansai Thru Pass is also subject to the same nationality/residency requirements. This is not the case for the Hakone Free pass. If this person is a Japanese citizen but not a resident of Japan, then he/she can benefit from the Japan Rail Pass under certain conditions (see https://www.japan-experience.com/frequently-asked-questions).
Your activities :
- Airport reception is in English. Your airport assistant will be waiting for you at the customs exit holding a sign with the name of the reservation. They will give you your travel documents and take you to your airport transfer. They will not accompany you to Tokyo (this is possible, but optional).
- An English speaking Travel Angel who is a specialist in Japan will be there to welcome you to your traditional houses. They will give you the keys, explain how the house and its facilities work, give you a tour of the area (tourist sites, supermarkets, bike rental...) and answer all your questions. They will be available throughout your stay in case of any problems or questions.
- The guided tour of Gion takes place in groups of 12 people maximum, from 6pm to 7:30/8:00pm. In English. More details on the meeting place in your travel journal. Dinner is not planned but your guide will be able to give you their best spots.
- Tokyo Family Tour: Your guide will pick you up at your flat at 9am, and the day will last until 5pm. Details in your travel diary.
Your meals :
- Traditional Japanese dinner and Japanese breakfast (mostly savoury) are included in your Hakone tour. Do not hesitate to indicate any dietary requirements you may have, we will pass them on to the ryokan so that they can take them into account when planning the meals. If the ryokan does not take any of these dietary requirements into account, we cannot be held responsible and no compensation will be issued.
- Breakfasts which are not included in your package can be added at the reception when you arrive at the hotel. However, you will find many cafés near your hotel serving copious breakfasts, often tastier than those in the hotels, which sometimes have tight schedules and are predominantly savoury. However, if you would like to add breakfast to your offer when you make your reservation, you can select it as an option.
- The traditional Japan Experience houses are equipped for cooking and are located close to supermarkets and markets
Your additional services:
- A pocket wifi is included in your tour. It allows unlimited high-speed internet access. Your Pocket WiFi will be given to you at the airport of arrival.
- It comes with a small booklet to operate your device (don't panic: simple operation) and a prepaid envelope to return your device at the end of your stay. Your pocket wifi will work naturally until the last day of your trip to Japan.
- A maximum of 5 devices can be connected to a pocket wifi (phone, tablet, computer).
- A single pocket wifi is provided for a circuit order of 1 to 5 people. For an order of 6 people or more, a second pocket wifi will be added automatically and at no extra cost to your reservation.
Which protection for your tour in Japan ?
At the time of your purchase, Japan Experience offers you 3 types of protection :
- Japan Experience Flex :
Free cancellation of your trip for any reason up to 35 days before your departure date with our partner Koala.
No residency or nationality requirements.
Refund: 100% of your cancellation fees (excluding airfare costs).
No reason or proof to provide. Cancellation in 1 email. Transfer made within 3 days. More informations here
- Japan Experience Protect :
Cancellation insurance before departure and on-site assistance, subject to conditions. COVID protection included.
- Japan Experience Full coverage :
All the benefits of 'Flex' and 'Protect' plans, combined.
Frequently asked questions
Our commitments as Japan Experience, Europe No. 1 travel in Japan
- The guarantee of the first tour operator specialised exclusively in Japan for 40 years
- A wide range of products to let you Experience Japan from the inside
- Competitive prices thanks to a single team in UK, Europe, USA and Japan, with no intermediaries
- Assistance available in Japan throughout your trip
- A specialised team is available 7 days a week by phone or email
- The best advice thanks to the 3,500 articles available on our website
Our other Self-Guided tours
Discover other Self-Guided tours like « Japan family tour »