Between Manga and Tradition
- Duration : 15 days
- Locations : Tokyo, Hakone Mt Fuji, Kyoto, Okayama, Miyajima, Osaka
Are your children fans of manga? Would you like to discover the land of the rising sun with them?
This Japan tour allows you to combine the discovery of the manga universe with the main tourist sites: Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and its sacred island Miyajima, without forgetting the majestic Mount Fuji and Japanese inland sea.
An organised trip to Japan for the whole family!
2 week itinerary
- Departure city/airport : Tokyo (Narita : NRT or Haneda : HND)
- Tokyo (5 nights)
- Hakone Mount Fuji (1 night)
- Kyoto (3 nights)
- Okayama and Tomonoura (2 nights)
- Miyajima Island (1 night)
- Osaka (2 nights)
- End Return airport : Osaka (Kansai Airport : KIX)
Please find below the itinerary details.
Tour length : 14 nights / 15 days (+ 1 day at the beginning if you leave from Europe)
Indeed, the tour departure and end dates presented on this page relate to your stay in Japan. On departure, you will have to leave Europe on the day before. The return flight is on the same day due to the time difference.
- Departure from Europe : January 1st
- Arrival Tokyo (date to be selected in the tour calendar while booking) : January 2nd
- Return flight from Osaka Kansai Airport : January 16th
Why this trip to Japan ?
- Welcomed at the airport by our team, you will be taken to your hotel in Tokyo by shuttle bus
- Discover this huge city and learn how to draw manga
- Must-see visits for manga fans : The Akihabara district
- Head to the edge of Mount Fuji for an unforgettable dinner and overnight stay in a ryokan
- Travel by Shinkansen to Kyoto : a guided tour of the traditional geisha quarter awaits you
- Visit the fishing port that inspired Miyazaki before an overnight stay on the island of Miyajima
- End the trip in Osaka where you can spend an optional day at Universal Studios
- Recommendations available in your travel diary
- Enjoy unlimited internet access thanks to your pocket Wi-Fi
- If necessary, contact our Japanese bilingual English-speaking assistance 24/7
- A number of guided days or other optional activities are available
- Benefit from the expertise of Japan Experience, European leading travel agency in Japan.
Your trip in detail
Day 1 : Wake up in Tokyo 東京
Arrival at Tokyo airport (Narita or Haneda).
Welcome to Japan! Yokoso 日本へようこそ！
Reception at the exit from Customs in English by our airport assistant, who will give you all your travel documents and your pocket WiFi.
Unaccompanied transfer from the airport to Tokyo (see details).
Check-in at the hotel OMO3 Tokyo Akasaka by Hoshino Resorts or same category hotel 3* (rooms available from 3:00pm).
Day 2 : First steps in the capital
What is there to do in Tokyo on the first day?
We advise you to slowly start visiting Tokyo from its western districts:
- Harajuku: the avant-garde district
- Meiji Jingû, the imperial shrine
- Takeshita-Dori: the most famous street in Japan
- Omotesando: Tokyo's Champs-Élysées
- Shibuya and its unmistakable "crossroads"
Starting from 5pm, make your way to meet your guide in Akihabara. Take a tour of Akihabara and discover the fascinating Otaku universe, manga and anime enthusiasts who live their passions in this district dedicated to them. A highlight of the visit will be a break in a maid cafe, where you can have something to eat or drink, and other virtual and interactive activities according to your desires!
At the end of this 3-hour stroll, your guide will be able to advise you on the best places to dine!
Day 3 : The big loop
For this second day of visiting Tokyo, we recommend the following "loop".
Start from Tokyo Central Station, with its original architecture, then go to visit:
- Ginza, Tokyo's chic district
- Tsukiji, the small outdoor food market
- Hamarikyu, the Japanese garden between Tokyo's buildings
- Asakusa, a traditional district and place of pilgrimage, accessible by a cruise on the Sumida River
- Sensô-ji Buddhist temple, one of the oldest in the city
- Tokyo Sky Tree reaching a height of 643m, and its panoramic view of Tokyo at sunset
Enjoy a cruise on the Sumida River between Hamarikyu and Asakusa.
Day 4 : Back to the future
Travel back in time for this 4th day:
- Yanaka, the old Tokyo
- Ueno, the place of resistance of the last Samurai, and its park full of cherry trees
- Odaiba, the island of futuristic entertainment in Tokyo Bay
Day 5 : Manga and animation studios
In the morning, learn to draw manga with the help of a professional! Each lesson is adapted to your level, whether you are a beginner or an experienced artist!
Day 6 : On the way to visit the emblem of Japan: Mount Fuji!
Head to Hakone (1.5 hour journey from Shinjuku station, 1 change, included in your package).
Check-in at your ryokan Ichinoyu Shinkan or same category ryokan.
You will be charmed by the magnificent scenery of this spa resort, Lake Ashi and its view of Mount Fuji (in good weather!). Not forgetting the volcanic site of Owakudani, accessible by cable car.
If you wish to be accompanied for this day, one of our English-speaking guides will reveal all the secrets of the Mount Fuji region.
At night at the ryokan, you will be treated to a tasty traditional Japanese dinner before retiring to your tatami room.
Day 7 : The Japan of traditions
Traditional Japanese breakfast at the ryokan.
In 2h40, reach Kyoto (2 changes, included in your package) check into the RAKURO 京都 by THE SHARE HOTELS or same category hotel.
You have 3 days to visit Kyoto.
Start in the afternoon in the historic Gion district near your accommodation :
- Kiyomizu-Dera, the great water temple
- The historical streets of Sannen-zaka & Ninnen-zaka
- Kodai-ji, the maple and bamboo temple of Kyoto
Finish off seeing the sunset in Gion.
Day 8 : Gold, silver and manga
We recommend the following itinerary for this second day's visit to Kyoto:
- Ryoan-ji Zen Garden
- The Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion)
- Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion)
- The bewitching path of philosophy
- The Nanzen-ji temple
One of our many experienced English-speaking guides can accompany you on a tour of these symbolic sites (optional, from 9:00 to 17:00).
And for our fans : the manga museum, right in the heart of Kyoto!
The library of 300,000 manga books awaits you: the art of manga will hold no secrets for anyone.
Day 9 : Between temples and deer
For your last day in Kyoto and its surroundings, we recommend taking the 50 minute journey to Nara, which is included in your package.
Visit to Nara, the first permanent capital of Japan in the 8th century.
- The Shinto shrine Kasuga Taisha and its thousands of lanterns
- The Todaiji, its great bronze Buddha and the imposing Nan-Daimon gate
- Kofukuji temple and its beautiful pagoda
Return to Kyoto and stop for sunset at Fushimi Inari, the huge 10,000 torii sanctuary in Kyoto. If you wish to be accompanied on this day, one of our English-speaking guides will unveil all the secrets of Japan's first capital (optional, return trip from Kyoto).
Day 10 : A crossroads between two islands
Travel by Shinkansen to Okayama (about 1 hour 30, direct, included in your package). Check into your hotel between the station and the castle.
We advise you to head out early to explore the castle and its magnificent Koraku-en park, before leaving in the middle of the afternoon for the romantic town of Kurashiki, a 17-minute train ride from Okayama (included with JR Pass):
Kurashiki, an old commercial metropolis lined with canals, will seduce you:
- Bikan, a district with typical architecture
- The Ohara Museum, keeper of paintings by Monet, Matisse, Renoir...
- The Museum of Popular Arts dedicated to regional history
Night in Okayama.
Day 11 : The whole world of Miyazaki
Breakfast at the hotel.
From Okayama, we recommend an excursion to Tomonoura, a typical Japanese seaside village (15 minutes by train included in your offer and 30 minutes by bus, paid with your pre-paid card. (Details in your travel diary)
In recent years, the small port town of Tomonoura has been chosen as the location for several international and local films, such as "The Wolverine" with Hugh Jackman.
Return to Okayama at the end of the day by the same route as in the morning, in the middle of the Japanese countryside.
Day 12 : The Sacred Island
Breakfast at the hotel.
Shinkansen train ride from Okayama to Miyajima (1 hour 15, 1 change) then boat (20 minutes). The train and boat included in your package.
Reach your ryokan near the island's ferry terminal.
Explore the island: its Itsukushima-jinja shrine and its large gate (ootorii) standing in the sea. (Please note: The ootorii is under construction until an unspecified date). Take the cable car up to Mount Misen and then descend on foot. A breathtaking view of Hiroshima Bay is waiting for you!
Traditional Japanese dinner at the ryokan.
Day 13 : First steps in the capital of Kansai
Traditional Japanese breakfast at the ryokan.
In the morning, make a stop in Hiroshima (30 minutes by train from Miyajimaguchi Ferry Station, included in your JR Pass), to visit the Peace Park and its memorial. Then head to Osaka (Shinkansen, direct, 2h).
Check-in at Hotel Intergate Osaka Umeda or same category hotel.
If you have time in the afternoon, you can visit medieval Osaka Castle before strolling through the restaurant district in Dotonbori !
Day 14 : Universal Osaka
We recommend spending the day at Universal Studios, located near the centre of Osaka (optional tickets on this tour).
Alternatively, you may decide to continue to explore the city.
We advise you to visit Osaka from the northern and eastern districts:
- The medieval castle of Osaka, with its park full of plum and cherry trees
- The city centre and its Nakanoshima Island, with its rose park in the middle of the buildings
- Utsubo Park, an oasis of freshness in the business district
- Rendezvous in Umeda, temple of Japanese style shopping
- End up at the Umeda Sky building at dusk for a 360° view of Kansai (including Kyoto on a clear day!)
As an option, you can book a river cruise between the different parts of the day.
Day 15 : Sayonara, and see you next time!
Direct transfer to Kansai International Airport (included but not accompanied).
Return flight to Europe, North America, Australia.
Do not hesitate to extend your trip by one or more days to Kansai or elsewhere... We will be able to advise you!
- 5 nights in a 3* hotel in the heart of Tokyo, close to public transport
- 1 night in a 3* ryokan in Hakone Mount Fuji, traditional half-board
- 3 nights in a 3* hotel in the heart of Kyoto, close to public transport
- 2 nights in a 3* hotel in Okayama, near the train station
- 1 night in a 3* ryokan in Miyajima, traditional half-board
- 2 nights in a 3* hotel in Osaka
The basic rate includes a twin room for two people.
- Airport transfers
- Prepaid public transport card
- Hakone Free Pass for 2 days
- Japan Rail Pass for 7 days
Experiences and meals
- Airport welcome
- Traditional dinner and breakfast in the ryokan at Hakone and Miyajima
- Breakfasts excluding Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka
- Discounts at many Hakone tourist sites
- Private guided tour of Akihabara, Tokyo
- Manga drawing lessons, Tokyo
- Unlimited Wi-Fi access with pocket Wi-Fi
- Complete e-travel diary sent 20 days before your departure
- 24/7 telephone assistance in English and bilingual Japanese
Not included in the price of your trip
- Flights Europe <> Japan
- Optional insurance policies
- Personal expenses including meals (breakfast optional)
- Public transport when your transport cards have run out (see details)
- Anything not included in the "included in your tour" section
Your tour :
- The prices displayed on this page may vary according to the exchange rate of the Japanese ¥.
- Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible to people with reduced mobility.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Children and babies accepted. From 3 to 11 years old a child rate is offered. In each accommodation, a standard adult bed will be offered to them, and a standard seat will be allocated to them in transport. From 0 to 2 years old inclusive, a "baby" rate is offered. This price corresponds to the allocation of a cot in the majority of the accommodation of the chosen circuit. However, we cannot guarantee a baby cot in each accommodation.
- This programme is subject to change due to circumstances such as weather conditions or any other case of force majeure. Please note that due to the current circumstances, any information mentioned is subject to change or modification.
- Your travel documents will be given to you as follows:
- Travel diary by email 3 weeks before departure, and other electronic documents
- Paper documents (airport transfer tickets, transport cards) and pocket WiFi when you arrive at the airport by our airport assistant.
- Note : In very rare cases, mostly in very high season, steps might be reversed. You will be informed in your mini travel-guide. Thanks for your kind understanding.
Your accommodation :
- Some hotels may ask you to pay a tourist tax on arrival. This depends on the city and even the hotel, as some do not include it in the booking price. Normally, it is 200¥/night/person (about £1.37/1.93$) but can be slightly higher in 4* hotels. It must be paid in cash at the hotel reception. For traditional Japan Experience accommodations, it is included in the initial tour price.
- Room size: in Japan, a densely populated country where everything is compact, 3-star luxury hotels are of very good quality but the rooms are often quite narrow (12 to 20m2/129 sq ft to 215 sq ft) depending on the hotel. Please note the size of the single room, between 10 and 16m2 (107sq ft and 172 fq ft). For more comfort, you can choose our luxury 4* accommodation upgrade option.
- Double room: Rooms for two people in western hotels have 2 single beds (twin rooms) by default, which can usually be joined together. As an option, you can select a double room instead of a twin if you prefer a double bed.
- Single room: People travelling alone and wishing to book a single room must pay a supplement at the time of booking. The single room supplement is compulsory for orders with an odd number of participants. Please note that if you request more than two people in a single room, the single room supplement will be applied to all accommodation except for the ryokans (3 and 4*). In fact, as this is traditional accommodation, people with the same reservation are grouped together in spacious rooms for up to 5 people.
- 3-person room: If there are 3, 5 or more of you and you do not select the single supplement, a triple room will be allocated to you.
- In the case of a group order (> 5 people), it is possible, depending on hotel availability, that not all members of the group will be accommodated in the same hotel. Nevertheless, we aim to keep you close.
- Names of the hotels : The names given on the site are for information only. In the event of unavailability, an establishment of equivalent standing will be scheduled. Hotels, corresponding to local standards, are given as an indication and may be changed on site for hotels of a similar category.
- In the ryokan, guests sleep on comfortable futons placed on the tatami mat. The room has a private sink and toilet. As is customary in Japanese ryokan, the onsen bathroom is shared (not mixed) unless you take the "private bathroom in the room" option.
OPTION only valid for Hakone ryokan : Enjoy a private Japanese bathroom (traditional or modern onsen) in your room. This option is recommended for mixed couples, families, people who are modest or have visible tattoos.
The 4* ryokan (see 4* option) have comfortable futons raised on either western beds in a traditional tatami room. The bathrooms and toilets of the 4* ryokans are private.
Your transport :
- Flights are not included in this tour. Do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to include flights in your order: Flights in economy class with stopovers or direct flights, eco-premium or business air upgrades, provincial departures or abroad: we will be able to advise you.
- The tour departure and end dates presented on this page relate to your stay in Japan. You will arrive in Japan via Tokyo (Narita or Haneda airports) and depart from Kansai airport (KIX, not Itami ITM). On departure, you will have to leave the day before Europe and land at 6:30 p.m. at the most to make the most of the airport services of your circuit (reception and transfer to Tokyo).
The return takes place the same day, taking into account the favorable time difference, with a minimum take-off time at 9 a.m. Do not hesitate to consult us for any uncertainty or need for clarification on the choice of international flights.
- If the flights have been purchased by your care without the intervention of Japan Experience, it is necessary to send us by mail 1 month before your departure your flight information (flight number, airport, date and time of arrival) to allow us 'Organize your welcome and airport transfer.
- Airport transfers: The shared shuttle bus leaves from the airport and stops in front of your hotel, and vice versa on the return journey. Our airport assistant in Kansai Airport will drive you to the platform to take the airport transfer. Afterwards, this hotel transfer is unassisted. If you would like to be accompanied from the airport to your hotel reception please choose the option "Accompanied Airport Transfer". On the way back, the shared shuttle bus leaves from your traditional house or very close by to take you directly to the Kansai KIX airport in 1 hour 30.
- Included in your tour is a pre-charged transport prepayment card of ¥ 1,500 (around £10.30 / 14.54$) (suica or Pasmo brand); a Hakone Free Pass for 2 days, and a 7-day Japan Rail Pass. These 3 cards should cover a large part of your trips during the stay. Upon expiry of the 1,500¥ Transport Prepayment Card, or if the line you are travelling on is not covered by your Japan Rail Pass, any travel will be at your own expense by recharging your pre-paid transport card (at vending machines in all stations and metro stations).
- The Japan Rail Pass is a personal train pass for foreign travellers who wish to visit Japan. This pass allows unlimited travel for 7 consecutive days on all Japan Railways (JR) trains throughout Japan. You will receive a voucher to be exchanged at a JR office when you are welcomed at the airport by our assistant (list of addresses provided in your travel guide). You will be asked to show your passport and fill in a form. During this exchange, you will select the start date of your pass. Once your Pass has been activated, it will be valid for 7 consecutive days from the date chosen. To prevent wasting time when you arrive at the airport, you are requested to exchange your voucher upon arrival in Tokyo City. This is because exchanging it at the airport could delay your airport shuttle. With your Japan Rail Pass in hand, just go to the station, show your pass to the ticket inspector at the entrance gates and board any JR train. Trains in Japan are almost all open seating. If you are worried about not having a seat (on a shinkansen for example), simply go to a ticket office and reserve your seat at no extra charge. The Japan Rail Pass covers all JR and Shinkansen lines in Japan. The following journeys are not covered:
- Travel by metro and bus in the cities (payable by pre-paid transport card, included in your package)
- Transfers from the train station to the hotels (by foot, bus, metro or taxi)
- Travel on private train lines (other than JR)
- Travel on Nozomi and Mizuho high-speed trains (shinkansen)
- Trips made outside the validity period of the Japan Rail Pass
- Japan Rail Pass: It is not necessary to possess a Japan Rail Pass which covers your entire stay. This is only cost-effective if it is used for long journeys between the different stages of your stay (especially in shinkansen) which are very expensive. In large cities like Tokyo, only about ⅓ of public transport is covered by the Japan Rail Pass and getting around is relatively cheap (Tokyo metro tickets: £1.71 / 2.42$; Kyoto daily bus card: £1.71 / 2.42$). Thus, providing you with a Japan Rail Pass for more than 7 days (14 or 21) would not be cost-effective and, on the contrary, would significantly increase the cost of your trip.
- If a person taking part in the tour is a Japanese national and a resident of Japan, or a foreigner with tax residence in Japan (including a student), then that person is not eligible for the Japan Rail Pass. Please contact us to get the price of the tour without a Japan Rail Pass. They will have to buy the train tickets for the tour directly in Japan. The Kansai Thru Pass is also subject to the same nationality/residency requirements. This is not the case for the Hakone Free pass. If this person is a Japanese citizen but not a resident of Japan, then he/she can benefit from the Japan Rail Pass under certain conditions (see https://www.japan-experience.com/frequently-asked-questions).
Your activities :
- Airport reception is in English. Your airport assistant will be waiting for you at the customs exit holding a sign with the name of the reservation. They will give you your travel documents and take you to your airport transfer. They will not accompany you to Tokyo (this is possible, but optional).
- The tour in Akihabara is private, conducted by an English-speaking guide. 3 hours at lunchtime or in the evening.
Your meals :
- Traditional Japanese dinner and Japanese breakfast (mostly savoury) are included in your ryokan. Do not hesitate to indicate any dietary requirements you may have, we will pass them on to the ryokan so that they can take them into account when planning the meals. If the ryokan does not take any of these dietary requirements into account, we cannot be held responsible and no compensation will be issued.
- Breakfasts which are not included in your package can be added at the reception when you arrive at the hotel. However, you will find many cafés near your hotel serving copious breakfasts, often tastier than those in the hotels, which sometimes have tight schedules and are predominantly savoury. However, if you would like to add breakfast to your offer when you make your reservation, you can select it as an option.
Your additional services:
- A pocket wifi is included in your tour. It allows unlimited high-speed internet access. Your pocket wifi will be delivered to you at the airport of arrival.
- It comes with a small booklet to operate your device (don't panic: simple operation) and a prepaid envelope to return your device at the end of your stay. Your pocket wifi will work naturally until the last day of your trip to Japan.
- A maximum of 5 devices can be connected to a pocket wifi (phone, tablet, computer).
- A single pocket wifi is provided for a circuit order of 1 to 5 people. For an order of 6 people or more, a second pocket wifi will be added automatically and at no extra cost to your reservation.
Which protection for your tour in Japan ?
At the time of your purchase, Japan Experience offers you 3 types of protection :
- Japan Experience Flex :
Free cancellation of your trip for any reason up to 35 days before your departure date with our partner Koala.
No residency or nationality requirements.
Refund: 100% of your cancellation fees (excluding airfare costs).
No reason or proof to provide. Cancellation in 1 email. Transfer made within 3 days. More informations here
- Japan Experience Protect :
Cancellation insurance before departure and on-site assistance, subject to conditions. COVID protection included.
- Japan Experience Full coverage :
All the benefits of 'Flex' and 'Protect' plans, combined.
Frequently asked questions
Our commitments as Japan Experience, Europe No. 1 travel in Japan
- The guarantee of the first tour operator specialised exclusively in Japan for 40 years
- A wide range of products to let you Experience Japan from the inside
- Competitive prices thanks to a single team in UK, Europe, USA and Japan, with no intermediaries
- Assistance available in Japan throughout your trip
- A specialised team is available 7 days a week by phone or email
- The best advice thanks to the 3,500 articles available on our website
Our other Self-Guided tours
Discover other Self-Guided tours like « Between Manga and Tradition »