Book your National Japan Rail Pass
Order here your Japan Rail Pass Classic or "Green" (1st Class) for a duration of 7, 14 or 21 days
- Economic and simple
- Unlimited travel
Order your national Japan Rail Pass
JR Pass, for cheaper train travel
The JR Pass is the ideal travel solution and the best way to travel throughout Japan Japan by train. With a Japan Rail Pass, you can travel without restriction on the Japan Railways network for 7, 14 or 21 days. Japan Rail has a network of more than 20.000 km spanning Japan from north to south, the JR Pass allows you to go almost anywhere.
Economical and simple to use, the JR Pass is a lot cheaper than buying individual train tickets. Get the maximum out of your JR Pass: for the price of a return ticket Tokyo-Kyoto, visit the rest of Japan free for 7 days!
Japan Experience, a leading JR Pass distributor, can offer you the best prices and can send your tickets anywhere in world. Purchase your JR Pass now!
Who is eligible for the Japan Rail Pass?
- The Japan Rail Pass is available to any foreign traveler visiting Japan as a "temporary visitor", i.e. short-stay visa of 90 days.
- Persons going to Japan for non-tourist purposes (stay in a military environment, studies, cultural, diplomatic, research, etc.) are not eligible.
- Japanese citizens can buy and use the JR Pass if they reside abroad and have a ten-year residence permit or if they are married to a person of another nationality. (For more information, please see our FAQ)
For more information, please read our Common Questions section.
What are the advantages of a Green Pass?
The "Green Pass" entitles you to travel in the "Green Car", the equivalent of our 1st class, on all valid Shinkansen (so except Nozomi and Mizuho) and certain fast lines.
The Green Japan Rail Pass is not often used by foreign travellers but, considering the comfort it offers, the space, the hot towel (oshibori) and even free drinks you receive on some routes, it is good value for money.
Buying the Green Japan Rail Pass is a good idea if you are planning on travelling during busy times (May, August and September) because, in addition to the fact that there is more space allocated to each traveller, the Green cars are generally less busy giving you more of a chance of reserving a seat.
New Japan Rail Pass in 2020
From June 2020 the Japan Rail Pass is changing, but the price and the concept remain the same! You will still have unlimited travel on JR trains for 7, 14 or 21 days but the JR Pass is becoming even more practical:
- addition of a QR code will allow you to use automatic gates for quicker access to station platforms,
- you can reserve your seats free of charge at automatic ticket machines, in addition to JR ticket offices, for guaranteed access to the train you want.
Available now from Japan Experience!
Conditions of the JR Pass
- The Japan Rail Pass is valid on all the JR lines all over Japan (except the Nozomi and the Mizuho Shinkansen).
- The pass is valid on the Tokyo Monorail, some lines of Aoimori Railways and local JR buses.
- The Pass is also valid on the JR Miyajima ferry.
- The Japan Rail Pass is not valid on private (non-JR) railway lines such as: Hakone-Tozan, Nankai Koya, Fujikyu, Kitakinki-Tango. Some JR trains do travel over non-JR tracks and JR Pass holders are required to pay a supplement for this part of the journey (either on board or at the station).
- The voucher can be exchanged for a 3-month period following the date of issue.
- To exchange the voucher for the Japan Rail Pass you will need your passport.
- The activation date of the pass, once the pass has been exchanged, can no longer be changed.
- JR exchange points: see this link
- With the Pass, no additional fee is required when reserving seats in Japan.
- To access the platforms, show your pass and/or your ticket to the JR staff located at the gate to the platform.
- To reserve a seat, go to see the agents at the the ticket office.
- It is a personal pass. Always carry your passport along with the Pass! Station staff may check it.
- The voucher is refundable for one year.
- The pass can be refunded if it has never been used at the ticket offices.
- JR East Pass is only refundable once the pass has become invalid; Three months after the issue date.
- A cancellation fee of 15% of the value of the pass, will be retained (unless you selected the JRP Assistance).
- No refund is possible for a pass for which the date of validation has expired.
- No refund is possible for a lost or stolen pass.
The JRP Assistance service is offered to customers who have purchased a Japan Rail Pass on the Japan-Rail-Pass or the Japan Experience website. This service provides unlimited access to telephone assistance in Japan 7 days a week and from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. for any questions, advice or troubleshooting relating to your train journey in Japan. This service also allows you to get a full refund of your Japan Rail Pass, should you need to cancel your order.
Frequently asked questions
Find out everything you need to know about travelling in Japan with a Japan Rail Pass.