Nihon Sankei 日本三景
Miho no Matsubara
The torii of Miyajima
The view over Amanohashidate from Kasamatsu Park
Islands of Matsushima
Onuma Park in Hokkaido
Japan's most beautiful scenery
Choosing the most beautiful places in Japan seems impossible, considering all the amazing places in the country! Fortunately, the Japanese themselves have an official list.
- The floating Torii gate of Itsukushima (厳島)
Located in Hiroshima Prefecture, this is the most famous view of Japan abroad, and is found on almost all travel guides covers. The famous red gate standing in the sea, bordering the island of Miyajima. Its religious importance and beauty remain unparalleled since the twelfth century.
- The sandbar of Amanohashidate (天橋立)
This sandy strip closes the bay of Miyazu in Kyoto Prefecture. Nearly 3km, long this pine-covered beach forms a path dotted with temples and is famous since the eighth century.
- The islands of Matsushima (松島)
Located in Miyagi prefecture, this set of tiny rocky islets covered by pine trees is located in northern Japan near Sendai. These islands resemble artistically arranged bonsai placed on the sea, and has been celebrated by poets and artists such as Hokusai.
The three new views
Later, this list was supplemented by a new list of the best views of Japan established in 1915 by popular vote.
- Lake Onuma in Hokkaido, which perfectly reflects the shape of Komagatake volcano on the water.
- Miho no Matsubara Beach in Shizuoka prefecture, with its famous view of Mount Fuji.
- Yabakei Gorge in Kyushu, Oita Prefecture, whose outstanding cliffs overlook the Yamakuni river.