Seoul & Tokyo
A tour of South Korea and Japan : visit Seoul and Tokyo on this self-guided tour.
In the heart of Asia, these two modern capitals also have a traditional side to discover. Accommodation, internal transport and travel between South Korea and Japan are included.
Set off on this trip to Asia with peace of mind!
1 week itinerary in Seoul and Tokyo (9 days)
Our suggestion for the trip :
- 3 days in Seoul
- 3 days in Tokyo
- 1 day excursion to Mount Fuji, Nikko, or Kamakura.
The first and last day are reserved for your arrival and departure from Japan (and for the last bit of souvenir shopping!).
Please find below the itinerary details.
WARNING : The tour departure and end dates presented on this page relate to your stay in Japan. On departure, you will have to leave Europe on the day before. The return flight is on the same day due to the time difference. For further details, refer to "More about your trip".
Why this trip to Japan ?
- Our team will welcome you at each airport (Seoul and Tokyo)
- Get settled in the heart of the 2 capitals in your 3* hotels chosen for their comfort and location
- Take advantage of the transportation included in the 2 Asian capitals
- Have a comfortable flight and airport transfers between the 2 cities
- With your tickets, climb to the top of the Tokyo Sky Tree, 634m high
- Recommendations available in your travel diary
- Enjoy unlimited internet access thanks to your pocket Wi-Fi
- If necessary, contact our Japanese bilingual English-speaking assistance 24/7
- Numerous guided days or other optional activities available
- Benefit from the expertise of Japan Experience, European leading travel agency in Japan
Your trip in detail
Day 1 : Wake up in the Land of the Morning Calm
Arrival at Incheon Airport in Seoul.
You will be met at the airport by an English-speaking specialist. They will give you your travel documents for Korea, including your transport pass, and accompany you to your hotel in the heart of Seoul.
Check-in at the Nafore Hotel or equivalent 3* in the center of the capital.
Day 2 : A stunning capital
Self-guided tour of Seoul and its region.
A few must-sees:
- Cheonggye Square, from which you can see the city along the river. Total relaxation!
- Gyeongbokgung Palace, one of the largest in the country.
- The impressive Jongmyo sanctuary, classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Let a city expert guide you for a day.
- Discover Korean art on a tour of several galleries, private meetings and an introduction to the country's modern art.
Day 3 : The past so present
Self-guided tour of Seoul and its region.
Why not take the day to explore the area surrounding the capital?
- Hwaseong Fortress and its unique architecture, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Bukhansan National Park, home to some of the most beautiful hiking trails in the region, as well as several temples and a fortress
- Jeonju Hanok Village and its traditional houses that will transport you back in time
Optionally, take a half-day guided tour to the border between the two Koreas, to the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) where the Korean War Armistice was signed.
After dark, check out the city's nightlife in the lively districts of Gangnam, Itaewon or Hongdae.
Day 4 : Depart for Tokyo 東京
Transfer to Seoul Incheon Airport by bus (included).
Flight to Tokyo.
Arrival at Tokyo airport (Narita or Haneda).
Welcome to Japan! Yokoso 日本へようこそ！
Reception at the exit from Customs in English by our airport assistant, who will give you all your travel documents.
Unaccompanied transfer from the airport to Tokyo (see details).
Check-in at Hotel B Akasaka Mitsuke or equivalent 3* (rooms available from 3:00pm).
You can pick up your pocket Wi-Fi at the hotel reception desk.
Day 5 : First steps in the capital
What is there to do in Tokyo on the first day?
We advise you to slowly start visiting Tokyo from its western districts:
- Harajuku: the avant-garde district
- Meiji Jingû, the imperial shrine
- Takeshita-Dori: the most famous street in Japan
- Omotesando: Tokyo's Champs-Élysées
- Shibuya and its unmistakable "crossroads"
One of our many experienced English-speaking guides can also accompany you to visit the classic sights of Tokyo (optional, from 9:00 to 17:00).
Day 6 : The big loop
For this second day of visiting Tokyo, we recommend the following "loop".
Start from Tokyo Central Station, with its original architecture, then go to visit:
- Ginza, Tokyo's chic district
- Tsukiji, the small outdoor food market
- Hamarikyu, the Japanese garden between Tokyo's buildings
- Asakusa, a traditional district and place of pilgrimage, accessible by a cruise on the Sumida River
- Sensô-ji Buddhist temple, one of the oldest in the city
- Tokyo Sky Tree reaching a height of 643m and its panoramic view of Tokyo at sunset (ticket included in your tour)
Enjoy a cruise on the Sumida River between Hamarikyu and Asakusa.
Day 7 : Follow the guide
There are still many places to discover according to your taste! Ueno, Yanaka, Odaiba...
Don't hesitate to follow the many suggestions in your travel diary.
Or better still, book an English-speaking guide for the day (optional) to visit Tokyo off the beaten path!
Make the most of our many optional activities :
- Are you looking more for fun? Ghibli Museum, Disneyland or Hello Kitty Park are waiting for you!
- Do you prefer a themed activity? book a visit on an architecture tour, gardens, home cooking or Noh's theatre.
- Chasing thrills? Let yourself be tempted by a helicopter ride or a sumo tournament (in season)!
Day 8 : On the way to visit the emblem of Japan: Mount Fuji!
For this last day before your departure, we advise you to go to the area around Tokyo, for a day in the Mount Fuji region, in Hakone (transport optional).
You will be charmed by the magnificent scenery of this spa resort, 1 hour 30 from Tokyo (not included), Lake Ashi and its view of Mount Fuji (in good weather!). Not forgetting the volcanic site of Owakudani, accessible by cable car.
If you wish to be accompanied for this day, one of our English-speaking guides will reveal all the secrets of the Mount Fuji region (optional, return trip from Tokyo).
- The temples and sanctuaries of Nikko, in the heart of the forest (about 2 hours one way trip).
- The town of Kamakura and its Great Bronze Buddha (about 1 hour one way, if you didn't go the day before).
- The Kawaguchiko and Five Lakes region, closest to Mount Fuji. Longer and more difficult to access than Hakone.
Day 9 : Sayonara, and see you next time!
Transfer to Haneda or Narita airport (included but not accompanied).
Return flight to Europe, North America, Australia.
Do not hesitate to extend your trip by one or more days to Tokyo, or elsewhere... We will be able to advise you!
- 3 nights in a 3* hotel in the heart of the city of Seoul
- 4 nights in a 3* hotel in the heart of the city of Tokyo
The basic rate includes a twin room for two people.
- 12-ride Seoul Metro ticket
- Flight Seoul -> Tokyo, economy class
- Transfer airport <> Seoul
- Transfer airport <> Tokyo
- Prepaid public transport card
- 3-day Tokyo Metro Pass
Experiences and meals
- Airport welcome Seoul
- Airport welcome Tokyo
- Entrance to Tokyo Sky Tree (combined ticket 350+450m)
- Breakfasts in Seoul
Included in your self-guided tour
- Unlimited Wi-Fi access in Seoul (public Wi-Fi everywhere), with pocket Wi-Fi in Tokyo
- Complete e-travel diary sent 20 days before your departure
- 24/7 telephone assistance in English and bilingual Japanese
Not included in the price of your trip
- Europe > Seoul and Tokyo > Europe Flights
- Optional insurance policies
- Personal expenses including meals (breakfast optional)
- Public transport when your transport cards have run out (see details)
- Anything not included in the "included in your tour" section
Your tour :
- The prices displayed on this page may vary according to the exchange rate of the Japanese ¥.
- Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible to people with reduced mobility.
- Pets are not allowed.
- This programme is subject to change due to circumstances such as weather conditions or any other case of force majeure. The order of visits may also be modified. Please note that due to the current circumstances, any information mentioned is subject to change or modification.
- Children over 3 years of age are allowed. Rates for children are available for people from 3 to 11 years old inclusive.
- Your travel documents will be given to you as follows
- Travel diary by email 3 weeks before departure, and other electronic documents (TokyoSkyTree e-voucher)
- Korea paper documents (airport transfer tickets, transport card) when you arrive at Seoul airport by our airport assistant
- Japan paper documents (airport transfer tickets, transport cards) when you arrive at Tokyo airport by our airport assistant
- Your pocket-wifi at the reception of your hotel in Tokyo on your arrival.
Your accommodation :
- Some hotels may ask you to pay a tourist tax on arrival. This depends on the city and even the hotel, as some do not include it in the booking price. Normally, it is 200¥/night/person (about £1.37/1.93$) but can be slightly higher in 4* hotels. It must be paid in cash at the hotel reception. For traditional Japan Experience accommodations, it is included in the initial tour price.
- Room size: in Japan, a densely populated country where everything is compact, 3-star luxury hotels are of very good quality but the rooms are often quite narrow (12 to 20m2/129 sq ft to 215 sq ft) depending on the hotel. Please note the size of the single room, between 10 and 16m2 (107sq ft and 172 fq ft). For more comfort, you can choose our luxury 4* accommodation upgrade option.
- Double room: Rooms for two people in western hotels have 2 single beds (twin rooms) by default, which can usually be joined together. As an option, you can select a double room instead of a twin if you prefer a double bed.
- Single room: People travelling alone and wishing to book a single room must pay a supplement at the time of booking. The single room supplement is compulsory for orders with an odd number of participants.
- 3-person room: If there are 3, 5 or more of you and you do not select the single supplement, a triple room will be allocated to you.
- In the case of a group order (> 5 people), it is possible, depending on hotel availability, that not all members of the group will be accommodated in the same hotel. Nevertheless, we aim to keep you close.
- Names of the hotels : The names given on the site are for information only. In the event of unavailability, an establishment of equivalent standing will be scheduled. Hotels, corresponding to local standards, are given as an indication and may be changed on site for hotels of a similar category.
Your transport :
- Europe -> Seoul et Tokyo -> Europe flights are not included in this tour. Do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to include flights in your order: Flights in economy class with stopovers or direct flights, eco-premium or business air upgrades, provincial departures or abroad: we will be able to advise you.
- The departure and end dates of the tour presented on this page relate to your stay in Asia. You will arrive in Korea via Seoul Incheon Airport (ICN) via Tokyo and depart from Tokyo (Narita NRT or Haneda HND). You will have to leave Europe the day before and land at 6:30pm at the latest to make the most of the airport services of your tour (welcome and transfer to Seoul). The return flight from Tokyo is on the same day due to the time difference, with a departure time of 9am at the earliest. Please do not hesitate to consult us for any uncertainty or need for precision in the choice of international flights.
- Airport transfers in Seoul and Tokyo: The shared shuttle bus leaves from the airport and stops either in front of your hotel or at a stop located between 1 and 15 min walk from your hotel. Our airport assistant will drive you to the platform to take the airport transfer. Then this transfer to the hotel is done without assistance.
- For Japan : included in your tour is a pre-paid transport card with 1500¥ loaded in advance (about £10.30 / 14.54$) (Suica or Pasmo brand); and a 3 day metro pass. These 2 cards should cover a large amount of your journeys in Tokyo. Please note: The metro pass is valid for 72 hours after the first use, until the expiry date printed on the back of the pass on this first use. This pass allows you to use all 13 of Tokyo's underground lines (Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway). The JR regional train lines are only accessible with the pre-payment card, where the journey is charged to you. When the 3-day metro pass and the 1,500¥ pre-paid transport card expire, you will have to pay for all your journeys by reloading your pre-paid transport card (in the ticket machines at all stations and metro stations. A metro ticket in Tokyo costs around £1.71 / 2.42$, depending on the length of the journey).
- For Korea, the tour includes a Seoul public transport pass with 12 intra-city trips (given to you upon arrival in Seoul). Beyond that, all travel is at your expense.
Your trips :
- Airport reception is in English (in Seoul and Tokyo). Your airport assistant will be waiting for you at the customs exit holding a sign with the name of the reservation. They will give you your travel documents and take you to your airport transfer. They will not accompany you to Tokyo (this is possible, but optional).
Your meals :
- Except for breakfasts in Seoul, no meals are included in your package. Breakfasts which are not included in your package can be added at the reception when you arrive at the hotel. However, you will find many cafés near your hotel serving copious breakfasts, often tastier than those in the hotels, which sometimes have tight schedules and are predominantly savoury. However, if you would like to add breakfast to your offer when you make your reservation, you can select it as an option
Your additional services:
- A pocket wifi is included in your tour. It allows unlimited high-speed internet access. Your pocket wifi will be delivered to you on arrival at the first hotel on your tour, in the name of your tour reservation.
- It comes with a small booklet to operate your device (don't panic: simple operation) and a prepaid envelope to return your device at the end of your stay. Your pocket wifi will work naturally until the last day of your trip to Japan.
- A maximum of 5 devices can be connected to a pocket wifi (phone, tablet, computer).
- A single pocket wifi is provided for a circuit order of 1 to 5 people. For an order of 6 people or more, a second pocket wifi will be added automatically and at no extra cost to your reservation.
Frequently asked questions
Our commitments as Japan Experience, Europe No. 1 travel in Japan
- The guarantee of the first tour operator specialised exclusively in Japan for 40 years
- A wide range of products to let you Experience Japan from the inside
- Competitive prices thanks to a single team in UK, Europe, USA and Japan, with no intermediaries
- Assistance available in Japan throughout your trip
- A specialised team is available 7 days a week by phone or email
- The best advice thanks to the 3,500 articles available on our website
Our other Self-Guided tours
Discover other Self-Guided tours like « Seoul & Tokyo »