Renovated in 2019, Kanamori House is a large house combining Japanese tradition and western comfort. It is located at the foot of Shiroyama Park in Takayama Old Town, just a 3-minute walk from the famous “Sanmachi Suji” district.
Description of the house
The ground floor has a large living / dining room with a table and bar style kitchen that is ideal for groups and families. There also is a bathroom, toilet, small traditional tatami room, and a small terrace for enjoying some fresh air on the ground floor. Upstairs has a balcony and two traditional bedrooms with lots of natural light, one with a double bed and the other with three futons. A group of 5 people can stay comfortably at Kanamori House.
This property is located in between the station and the old town, both accessible within ten minutes on foot. Takayama, being a small town, is calm and relaxing but brimming with things to do! You can enjoy a beautiful walk down old town and visit many craft shops, local sake breweries and even see wooden crafts being created. In the morning, you can stroll through the morning market and enjoy tasting many fresh vegetables with a great view of the river. At night, you can go through Dekonaru Yokocho, which is an excellent bar / restaurant road, filled with food booths and even games for small children during certain times of the year, fun for the whole family!
Plans and equipments
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Machine
- Table Ware
- Kitchen Ustensil
- Electric Kettle
Location of the house
Takayama is a small city at the base of the Japanese Alps where many aspects of traditional Japan still remain. The city’s well-known Old Town has beautiful architecture, old wooden houses, crafts, shops, delicious food and local sake. This region is also commonly referred to as Hida Takayama, and its famous “Hida beef” is best right here in Takayama.
Woodworking has flourished in Takayama thanks to its skilled carpenters, and the local lacquerware is also very high quality. The Takayama Festival, held in spring and fall, is considered one of Japan’s best. Shirakawa-go, Gokayama, The Alpine Route in Kurobe, Hirayu Onsen, Kanazawa city and Nagoya are all also within a just a few hours of Takayama.
The old-world atmosphere is certainly worth a visit as you travel through Japan, and our houses make it easy to enjoy the Hida Takayama region.
- Pluses: Compact, traditional, good food, famous wagyu beef, mountains, onsen
- Minuses: Quiet nightlife, can be cold in winter.
- Shops: Craft stores, wood shops, art, quality Japanese souvenir stores, Japanese pickled vegetables.
- Attractions: Takayama Jinja Shrine - 2 minute walk / Nakabashi bridge : 5 minute walk / Old Town : 5 minute walk / Funasaka Sake Brewery : 6 minute walk
- From Nagoya: Nonstop to Takayama on the wide view limited express train (2:30 h).
- From Tokyo: Bullet train to Toyama, then transfer to Takayama on wide view limited express train (4:30 h).
- From Kanazawa: Nohi bus to Takayama (2:00 h), or bullet train to Toyama, and then transfer to Takayama on wide view train (2h~3h).
In the area
Frequently asked questions