Tokyo & Kyoto
This tour in Japan allows you to visit Japan's two must-see cities, Tokyo and Kyoto, in a single trip.
With this package, enjoy an "affordable" trip to Tokyo, the many-sided capital, and Kyoto, the heart of traditional Japan!
Accommodation, transport pass, Shinkansen ticket, and a visit to each city are included in this trip.
9 day itinerary in Tokyo and Kyoto
- Departure city/airport : Tokyo (Narita : NRT or Haneda : HND)
- Tokyo (4 nights)
- Kyoto (4 nights)
- End Return airport : Osaka (Kansai international airport : KIX)
Please find below the itinerary details.
Tour length : 8 nights / 9 days (+ 1 day at the beginning if you leave from Europe)
Indeed, the tour departure and end dates presented on this page relate to your stay in Japan. On departure, you will have to leave Europe on the day before. The return flight is on the same day due to the time difference.
- Departure from Europe : January 1st
- Arrival Tokyo (date to be selected in the tour calendar while booking) : January 2nd
- Return flight from Kansai international airport : January 10th
Like this tour but want to add a night at Mount Fuji? Take a look at our other tour "Tokyo, Mount Fuji, Kyoto".
Like this tour but want to add a night at Mount Fuji and also visit Hiroshima? Then "Classic Japan" is the tour for you !
Why this trip to Japan ?
- Welcomed at the airport by our team, you will be taken to Tokyo by shuttle bus
- Settle in the heart of Tokyo in your 3* hotel chosen for its comfort and location
- With your tickets, climb to the top of the Tokyo Sky Tree, 634m high.
- Head for Kyoto by high-speed Shinkansen
- In Kyoto, a travel angel will welcome you to a traditional Japan Experience house
- At nightfall, a guided tour of the traditional geisha quarter awaits you
- Take advantage of unlimited transport to visit Tokyo, Kyoto and its region
- Recommendations available in your travel diary
- Enjoy unlimited internet access thanks to your pocket Wi-Fi
- If necessary, contact our assistance from 8am to 10pm Japanese time, 7 days a week, in English or Japanese.
- A number of guided days or other optional activities are available
- On the final day, a shuttle bus will take you from your accommodation to the airport
- Benefit from the expertise of Japan Experience, European leading travel agency in Japan.
Most recent customer reviews about this trip
"We are in Japan and having a marvelous time! I am so happy we used your company to help us while we were in Tokyo. Everything you provided was perfect.
The agent who met us at the airport was lovely and, after 25 hrs of travel, we were grateful for the comfortable and safe drive to the hotel. The hotel accommodations were exactly what we needed and we very much enjoyed our stay. However, the best part of our stay in Tokyo was definitely our guide who we booked as an option.
She was exceptional! We were able to see so much in a relatively short period of time, none of which would have been possible on our own. She was totally knowledgeable and her personality was delightful. It was like having a good friend show us around Tokyo. I’m so glad we spent the day together."
(G.D, US, November 2022)
Your trip to Tokyo and Kyoto in detail
Day 1 : Wake up in Tokyo 東京
Arrival at Tokyo airport (Narita or Haneda).
Welcome to Japan! Yokoso 日本へようこそ！
Welcomed out of customs by our airport assistant, who will give you all your travel documents and Pocket WiFi.
Unaccompanied transfer from the airport to Tokyo (see details).
This transfer is done in a shared shuttle or bus, with other guests departing for the same hotel or a hotel close to yours. These transfers depart between 1.5 and 3 hours after your scheduled flight arrival and stops can be made before your hotel.
If you would like a private, non-stop transfer directly after the actual arrival of your flight, feel free to take the "Private Taxi from the Airport" option.
Check-in at Hotel OMO3 Tokyo Akasaka by Hoshino Resorts or Same category hotel 3* (rooms available from 3:00pm).
Day 2 : First steps in the capital
What is there to do in Tokyo on the first day?
We advise you to slowly start visiting Tokyo from its western districts:
- Harajuku: the avant-garde district
- Meiji Jingû, the imperial shrine
- Takeshita-Dori: the most famous street in Japan
- Omotesando: Tokyo's Champs-Élysées
- Shibuya and its unmistakable "crossroads"
One of our many experienced English-speaking guides can also accompany you to visit the classic sights of Tokyo (optional, from 9:00 to 17:00).
Day 3 : The big loop
For this second day of visiting Tokyo, we recommend the following "loop".
Start from Tokyo Central Station, with its original architecture, then go to visit:
- Ginza, Tokyo's chic district
- Tsukiji, the small outdoor food market
- Hamarikyu, the Japanese garden between Tokyo's buildings
- Asakusa, a traditional district and place of pilgrimage, accessible by a cruise on the Sumida River
- Sensô-ji Buddhist temple, one of the oldest in the city
- Tokyo Sky Tree reaching a height of 643m and its panoramic view of Tokyo at sunset (ticket included in your tour)
Enjoy a cruise on the Sumida River between Hamarikyu and Asakusa.
Day 4 : Follow the guide
There are still many places to discover according to your taste ! Ueno, Yanaka, Odaiba...
Don't hesitate to follow the many suggestions in your travel diary.
Or better still, book an English-speaking guide for the day (optional) to visit Tokyo off the beaten path!
Make the most of our many optional activities:
- Are you looking more for fun? Ghibli Museum, Disneyland or Hello Kitty Park are waiting for you!
- Do you prefer a themed activity? book a visit on an architecture tour, gardens, home cooking or Noh's theatre.
- Chasing thrills? Let yourself be tempted by a helicopter ride or a sumo tournament (in season)!
Day 5 : On the way to the former capital
Head to Tokyo Station to board one of the fastest trains in the world: the Shinkansen! Travel by Nozomi Shinkansen to Kyoto (direct, approx. 2.5 hours, tickets included). We will try to reserve seats which give a view of Mount Fuji, about 40 minutes from the start!
From noon onwards, you can settle into your traditional Japan Experience house! A Travel Angel will welcome you, show you some unique details and help you to have an unforgettable stay in Kyoto. You will be able to "live the Japanese way" for a few days, with a space much bigger than a hotel room and a kitchen to prepare good Japanese food!
You have 3 days to visit Kyoto.
Start in the afternoon in the historic Gion district near your accommodation :
- Kiyomizu-Dera, the great water temple
- the historical streets of Sannen-zaka & Ninnen-zaka
- Kodai-ji, the maple and bamboo temple of Kyoto
Finish off seeing the sunset in Gion. Meet your guide at 19:00 to start your late stroll around Gion, Kyoto's historic district.
More details on the exact time and location in your travel diary. At the end of this 1 hour 30 walk, your guide will be able to advise you on the best places to eat out! Please note that it is strictly forbidden to take photographs in the historic district of Gion.
Day 6 : Gold and Silver Treasures
We recommend the following itinerary for this second day's visit to Kyoto:
- Ryoan-ji Zen Garden
- The Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion)
- Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion)
- The bewitching path of philosophy
- The Nanzen-ji temple
One of our many experienced English-speaking guides can accompany you on a tour of these symbolic sites (optional, from 9:00 to 17:00).
Day 7 : Now for some activity...
Continue to visit Kyoto heading west :
- Nishiki, Kyoto's culinary market
- Nijo castle, former residence of the shogun
- Arashiyama, to visit the bamboo grove and its monkey mountain
This is your last full day to visit Kyoto, so make the most of our many optional activities:
- Want to enjoy nature? Check out our cycling activities along the Kamogawa River or hiking in the Takao Gorge!
- Prefer Japanese arts? tea ceremonies, meditation activities or private visits to secret gardens will seduce you.
- Looking for Japanese countryside? Let yourself be tempted by a trip to Ohara, or try our flagship activity: on the Tea Road!
Day 8 : Between temples and deer
For your last day, we recommend taking the 50 minute journey to Nara, which is included in your package.
Visit to Nara, the first permanent capital of Japan in the 8th century:
- The Shinto shrine Kasuga Taisha and its thousands of lanterns
- The Todaiji, its great bronze Buddha and the imposing Nan-Daimon gate
- Kofukuji temple and its beautiful pagoda
Return to Kyoto and stop for sunset at Fushimi Inari, the huge 10,000 torii sanctuary in Kyoto. If you wish to be accompanied on this day, one of our English-speaking guides will unveil all the secrets of Japan's first capital (optional, return trip from Kyoto).
Day 9 : Sayonara, and see you next time!
Direct transfer to Kansai International Airport (included but not accompanied).
Return flight to Europe, North America, Australia.
Do not hesitate to extend your trip by one or more days to Kansai or elsewhere... We will be able to advise you!
- 4 nights in a 3* hotel in the heart of Tokyo, close to public transport
The basic rate includes a twin room for two people.
- 4 nights in a traditional Kyoto house (cleaning, bed linen/towels and tourist tax included)
- Airport transfers to Tokyo
- Return airport transfer Kyoto -> KIX
- Prepaid public transport card
- 3-day Tokyo Metro Pass
- 3-day unlimited transport pass in Kyoto and Nara (Kansai Thru Pass)
- Shinkansen Nozomi Tokyo -> Kyoto, seats reserved, standard class
- Airport welcome
- Entrance to Tokyo Sky Tree (combined ticket 350+450m)
- Welcome to Kyoto by a travel angel
- Guided night tour of Gion (1h30)
Included in your self-guided tour
- Unlimited Wi-Fi access with pocket Wi-Fi
- Complete e-travel diary sent before your departure
- The helpline is available from 8am to 10pm Japanese time, 7 days a week, in English and Japanese. The number will be given to you in your travel pack. It is valid for telephone calls and Whatsapp.
Not included in the price of your trip
- Flights Europe <> Japan
- Optional insurance policies
- Personal expenses including meals (breakfast optional)
- Public transport when your transport cards have run out (see details)
- Anything not included in the "included in your tour" section
Your tour :
- The prices displayed on this page may vary according to the exchange rate of the Japanese ¥.
- Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible to people with reduced mobility.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Children and babies accepted. From 3 to 11 years old a child rate is offered. In each accommodation, a standard adult bed will be offered to them, and a standard seat will be allocated to them in transport. From 0 to 2 years old inclusive, a "baby" rate is offered. This price corresponds to the allocation of a cot in the majority of the accommodation of the chosen circuit. However, we cannot guarantee a baby cot in each accommodation.
- This programme is subject to change due to circumstances such as weather conditions or any other case of force majeure. Please note that due to the current circumstances, any information mentioned is subject to change or modification.
- Your travel documents will be given to you as follows:
- Travel diary by email 3 weeks before departure, and other electronic documents (TokyoSkyTree e-voucher).
- Paper documents (airport transfer ticket, transportation card, Japan Rail Pass voucher) and Pocket WiFi upon arrival at the airport by our airport assistant.
- N.B.: no ticket for airport transfers to and from Kansai airport. The reservation is registered in the name of the tour reservation.
- N.B: In very rare cases, mostly in very high season, steps might be reversed. You will be informed in your mini travel-guide. Thanks for your kind understanding.
Your accommodation :
- Some hotels may ask you to pay a tourist tax on arrival. This depends on the city and even the hotel, as some do not include it in the booking price. Normally, it is 200¥/night/person (about £1.37/1.93$) but can be slightly higher in 4* hotels. It must be paid in cash at the hotel reception. For traditional Japan Experience accommodations, it is included in the initial tour price.
- Room size: in Japan, a densely populated country where everything is compact, 3-star luxury hotels are of very good quality but the rooms are often quite narrow (12 to 20m2/129 sq ft to 215 sq ft) depending on the hotel. Please note the size of the single room, between 10 and 16m2 (107sq ft and 172 fq ft). For more comfort, you can choose our luxury 4* accommodation upgrade option. (This option is only valid for the hotel in Tokyo, not for the traditional accommodation in Kyoto).
- Double room: Rooms for two people in western hotels have 2 single beds (twin rooms) by default, which can usually be joined together. As an option, you can select a double room instead of a twin if you prefer a double bed.
- Single room: People travelling alone and wishing to book a single room must pay a supplement at the time of booking. The single room supplement is compulsory for orders with an odd number of participants.
- 3-person room: If there are 3, 5 or more of you and you do not select the single supplement, a triple room will be allocated to you.
- In the case of a group order (> 5 people), it is possible, depending on hotel availability, that not all members of the group will be accommodated in the same hotel. Nevertheless, we aim to keep you close. The same goes for the traditional house in Kyoto.
- Names of the hotels : The names given on the site are for information only. In the event of unavailability, an establishment of equivalent standing will be scheduled. Hotels, corresponding to local standards, are given as an indication and may be changed on site for hotels of a similar category.
- Traditional house in Kyoto: each house has been chosen for its location (transport, shops, temples...) and thus to facilitate your stay. Most of them are either located in the historical district of Gion or on the edge of the Path of Philosophy and the Silver Temple. All lodgings have at least one Japanese tatami room and are equipped with a minimum of 3 beds, either in a single western bed (not double) or on a futon. Do not hesitate to specify in your comments that you want to sleep in a western bed.
Your transport :
- Flights are not included in this tour. Do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to include flights in your order: Flights in economy class with stopovers or direct flights, eco-premium or business air upgrades, provincial departures or abroad: we will be able to advise you.
- The tour departure and end dates presented on this page relate to your stay in Japan. You will arrive in Japan via Tokyo (Narita or Haneda airports) and depart from Kansai airport (KIX, not Itami ITM). On departure, you will have to leave the day before Europe and land at 6:30 p.m. at the most to make the most of the airport services of your circuit (reception and transfer to Tokyo).
The return takes place the same day, taking into account the favorable time difference, with a minimum take-off time at 9 a.m. Please do not hesitate to consult us for any uncertainty or need for precision in the choice of international flights.
If the flights have been purchased by your care without the intervention of Japan Experience, it is necessary to send us by mail 1 month before your departure your flight information (flight number, airport, date and time of arrival) to allow us 'Organize your welcome and airport transfer.
- Airport Transfers: The shared limousine bus leaves from the airport and stops either in front of your hotel or at a stop within 1-15 minutes walk from your hotel. Our airport assistant in Tokyo will drive you to the platform to pick up the airport transfer. The transfer to the hotel is unassisted. If you wish to be accompanied from the airport to your hotel reception, please choose the option "Accompanied Airport Transfer". This transfer is done in a shared shuttle or bus, with other clients leaving for the same hotel or a hotel close to yours. These transfers leave between 1.5 and 3 hours after your flight's scheduled arrival and stops can be made before your hotel. If you would like a private, non-stop transfer directly after the actual arrival of your flight, feel free to take the "Private Taxi from the Airport" option. Please note: due to the many changes in flight schedules by the airlines, if the airline notifies you of a change in arrival time less than 72 hours before your departure, and if it exceeds 45 minutes, we cannot guarantee your airport shuttle. You will then have to take a taxi at your own expense, requesting a refund from your airline for abusive schedule changes. The same applies to your return journey: 72 hours before your return flight, we cannot change the shuttle schedule. Similarly, you will have to take a taxi booked with the hotel, at your own expense, with reimbursement procedures with the airline company being the only solution. Japan Experience is not responsible for last minute schedule changes. On the way back, the shared shuttle bus leaves from your traditional house or very close by to take you directly to the Kansai KIX airport in 1 hour 30.
- Included in your tour is a pre-paid transport card with 1500¥ loaded in advance (about £10.30 / 14.54$) (Suica or Pasmo brand); a 3-day Tokyo metro pass and a 3-day Kyoto and Kansai unlimited transport card (Kansai Thru Pass). These 3 cards should cover a large amount of your journeys. Please note: The metro pass is valid for 72 hours after the first use, until the expiry date printed on the back of the pass on this first use. This pass allows you to use all 13 of Tokyo's underground lines (Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway). The JR regional train lines are only accessible with the pre-payment card, where the journey is charged to you. When the 3-day metro pass and the 1,500¥ pre-paid transport card expire, you will have to pay for all your journeys by reloading your pre-paid transport card (in the ticket machines at all stations and metro stations. A metro ticket in Tokyo costs around £1.71 / 2.42$, depending on the length of the journey). In Kyoto, the Kyoto and Kansai 3-Day Unlimited Transport Pass (Kansai Thru Pass) is valid on all Kyoto metro and bus lines, as well as 2/3 of the Kansai region network (all lines excluding JR). The JR lines in the Kansai region are accessible with the prepaid transport card.
- The Tokyo -> Kyoto Shinkansen will be booked for mid-morning departure to arrive in Kyoto at noon. Seats are reserved, in ordinary class. Please contact us if you would prefer to travel in first class ("green class"). We will do our best to reserve seats on the right hand side, so that you can see Mount Fuji. After booking the tour, it will not be possible to change the schedule of the Shinkansen. If you miss your Shinkansen, your tickets will be lost and cannot be refunded. You will have to buy new tickets at your own expense.
Your activities :
- Airport reception is in English. Your airport assistant will be waiting for you at the customs exit holding a sign with the name of the reservation. They will give you your travel documents and take you to your airport transfer. They will not accompany you to Tokyo (this is possible, but optional).
- The guided tour of Gion takes place in groups of 12 people maximum, from 6:00pm to 7:30/8:00pm. In English. More details on the meeting place in your travel journal. Dinner is not planned but your guide will be able to give you their best spots.
- An English speaking Travel Angel who is a specialist in Japan will be there to welcome you to your traditional house in Kyoto. They will give you the keys, explain how the house and its facilities work, give you a tour of the area (tourist sites, supermarkets, bike rental...) and answer all your questions. They will be available throughout your stay in case of any problems or questions.
Your meals :
- No meals are included in your package. Breakfasts which are not included in your package can be added at the reception when you arrive at the hotel. However, you will find many cafés near your hotel serving copious breakfasts, often tastier than those in the hotels, which sometimes have tight schedules and are predominantly savory. However, if you would like to add breakfast to your offer when you make your reservation, you can select it as an option.
- The traditional Japan Experience houses are equipped for cooking and are located close to supermarkets and markets.
Your additional services:
- A pocket wifi is included in your tour. It allows unlimited high-speed internet access. Your Pocket WiFi will be given to you at the airport of arrival.
- It comes with a small booklet to operate your device (don't panic: simple operation) and a prepaid envelope to return your device at the end of your stay. Your pocket wifi will work naturally until the last day of your trip to Japan.
- A maximum of 5 devices can be connected to a pocket wifi (phone, tablet, computer).
- A single pocket wifi is provided for a circuit order of 1 to 5 people. For an order of 6 people or more, a second pocket wifi will be added automatically and at no extra cost to your reservation.
When you buy, Japan Experience offers you 2 types of protection:
Japan Experience Flex :
Cancellation insurance before departure under conditions.
Japan Experience Protect :
Pre-departure cancellation insurance under conditions and on-site assistance under conditions.
Frequently asked questions
Our commitments as Japan Experience, Europe No. 1 travel in Japan
- The guarantee of the first tour operator specialised exclusively in Japan for 40 years
- A wide range of products to let you Experience Japan from the inside
- Competitive prices thanks to a single team in UK, Europe, USA and Japan, with no intermediaries
- Assistance available in Japan throughout your trip
- A specialised team is available 7 days a week by phone or email
- The best advice thanks to the 3,500 articles available on our website
Our other Self-Guided tours
Discover other Self-Guided tours like « Tokyo & Kyoto »