City break - Tokyo tour
This city break tour allows you to visit Tokyo and its surroundings (Mount Fuji, Nikko) over 1 week.
From your centrally located hotel, discover the different districts of Tokyo: historic Asakusa, electric Akihabara, cosmopolitan Shinjuku, trendy Ginza and nightlife in Shibuya !
Enjoy an inclusive guided tour and many optional activities.
1 week itinerary in Tokyo (8 days)
Our suggestion for the trip :
- Departure city/airport : Tokyo (Narita : NRT or Haneda : HND)
- Tokyo (7 nights: 1 day excursion to Mount Fuji, Nikko, or Kamakura.)
- End Return airport : Tokyo (Narita : NRT or Haneda : HND)
Please find below the itinerary details.
Tour length : 7 nights / 8 days (+ 1 day at the beginning if you leave from Europe)
Indeed, the tour departure and end dates presented on this page relate to your stay in Japan. On departure, you will have to leave Europe on the day before. The return flight is on the same day due to the time difference.
- Departure from Europe : January 1st
- Arrival Tokyo (date to be selected in the tour calendar while booking) : January 2nd
- Return flight from Tokyo : January 9th
Why this trip to Japan ?
- Welcomed at the airport by our team, you will be taken to your hotel in Tokyo by shuttle bus
- Settle in the heart of Tokyo in your 3* hotel chosen for its comfort and location
- Take advantage of 5 days of transport to visit Tokyo
- A guided tour of the lively Shinjuku district awaits you at nightfall
- With your tickets, climb to the top of the Tokyo Sky Tree, 634m high
- Recommendations available in your travel diary
- Enjoy unlimited internet access thanks to your pocket Wi-Fi
- If necessary, contact our Japanese bilingual English-speaking assistance 24/7
- Numerous guided days or other optional activities available
- Benefit from the expertise of Japan Experience, European leading travel agency in Japan
Your trip to Tokyo in detail
Day 1 : Wake up in Tokyo 東京
Arrival at Tokyo airport (Narita or Haneda).
Welcome to Japan! Yokoso 日本へようこそ！
Our airport assistant will welcome you at the exit of the customs and will give you all your travel documents and your Pocket WiFi.
Unaccompanied transfer from the airport to Tokyo (see details).
Check-in at Hotel OMO3 Tokyo Akasaka by Hoshino Resorts or same category hotel 3* (rooms available from 3:00pm).
Dinner and evening at your leisure.
Day 2 : First steps in the capital
What is there to do in Tokyo on the first day?
We advise you to slowly start visiting Tokyo from its western districts:
- Harajuku: the avant-garde district
- Meiji Jingû, the imperial shrine
- Takeshita-Dori: the most famous street in Japan
- Omotesando: Tokyo's Champs-Élysées
- Shibuya and its unmistakable "crossroads".
Finish off seeing the sunset in Shinjuku.
Meet your guide at 18:00 to start your late stroll around Shinjuku. You can discover the secrets of Kabukicho and Golden Gai, the night life districts.
More details on the exact day and meeting point in your travel diary.
At the end of this 2-hour stroll, your guide will be able to advise you on the best places to dine!
Day 3 : The big loop
For this second day of visiting Tokyo, we recommend the following "loop".
Start from Tokyo Central Station, with its original architecture, then go to visit:
- Ginza, Tokyo's chic district
- Tsukiji, the small outdoor food market
- Hamarikyu, the Japanese garden between Tokyo's buildings
- Asakusa, a traditional district and place of pilgrimage, accessible by a cruise on the Sumida River
- Sensô-ji Buddhist temple, one of the oldest in the city
- Tokyo Sky Tree reaching a height of 643m and its panoramic view of Tokyo at sunset (ticket included in your tour)
Enjoy a cruise on the Sumida River between Hamarikyu and Asakusa.
One of our many experienced English-speaking guides can also accompany you to visit the classic sights of Tokyo (optional, from 9:00 to 17:00).
Day 4 : Back to the future
Travel back in time for this 4th day:
- Yanaka, the old Tokyo
- Ueno, the place of resistance of the last Samurai, and its park full of cherry trees
- Akihabara, the electronic and manga district
- Odaiba, the island of futuristic entertainment in Tokyo Bay
Day 5 : Follow the guide
For this fifth day, there are still many places to discover according to your taste!
Don't hesitate to follow the many suggestions in your travel diary.
Or better still, book an English-speaking guide for the day (optional) to visit Tokyo off the beaten path!
Day 6 : Now for some activity...
This is your last full day to visit Tokyo, so make the most of our many optional activities:
- are you looking more for fun? Ghibli Museum, Disneyland or Hello Kitty Park are waiting for you!
- do you prefer a themed activity? book a visit on an architecture tour, gardens, home cooking or Noh's theatre.
- chasing thrills? Let yourself be tempted by a helicopter ride or a sumo tournament (in season)!
If you wish to continue the visits at your own pace, Kamakura will seduce you. This small coastal town just 45 minutes by train (no reservations required) from Tokyo was once a shogun capital. The great Buddha of Kamakura is the symbol of the city. Our English-speaking guides can help you discover this city full of history.
Day 7 : On the way to visit the emblem of Japan: Mount Fuji!
For this last day before your departure, we advise you to go to the area around Tokyo, for a day in the Mount Fuji region, in Hakone (transport optional).
You will be charmed by the magnificent scenery of this spa resort, 1 hour 30 from Tokyo (not included), Lake Ashi and its view of Mount Fuji (in good weather!). Not forgetting the volcanic site of Owakudani, accessible by cable car.
If you wish to be accompanied for this day, one of our English-speaking guides will reveal all the secrets of the Mount Fuji region (optional, return trip from Tokyo).
- The temples and sanctuaries of Nikko, in the heart of the forest (about 2 hours one way trip).
- The town of Kamakura and its Great Bronze Buddha (about 1 hour one way, if you didn't go the day before).
- The Kawaguchiko and Five Lakes region, closest to Mount Fuji. Longer and more difficult to access than Hakone.
Day 8 : Sayonara, and see you next time!
Transfer to Haneda or Narita airport (included but not accompanied).
Return flight to Europe, North America, Australia.
Do not hesitate to extend your trip by one or more days to Tokyo, or elsewhere... We will be able to advise you!
- 7 nights in a 3* hotel in the heart of the city, close to the metro.
The basic rate includes a twin room for two people.
- Transfer airport <> Tokyo
- Prepaid public transport card
- 3-day Tokyo Metro Pass
- Airport welcome
- Night time guided tour of Shinjuku (2 hours)
- Entrance to Tokyo Sky Tree (combined ticket 350+450m)
Included in your self-guided tour
- Unlimited Wi-Fi access with pocket Wi-Fi
- Complete e-travel diary sent 20 days before your departure
- 24/7 telephone assistance in English and bilingual Japanese
Not included in the price of your trip
- Flights Europe <> Japan
- Optional insurance policies
- Personal expenses including meals (breakfast optional)
- Public transport when your transport cards have run out (see details)
- Anything not included in the "included in your tour" section
Your tour :
- The prices displayed on this page may vary according to the exchange rate of the Japanese ¥.
- Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible to people with reduced mobility.
- Pets are not allowed.
- This programme is subject to change due to circumstances such as weather conditions or any other case of force majeure. The order of visits may also be modified. Please note that due to the current circumstances, any information mentioned is subject to change or modification.
- Children and babies accepted. From 3 to 11 years old a child rate is offered. In each accommodation, a standard adult bed will be offered to them, and a standard seat will be allocated to them in transport. From 0 to 2 years old inclusive, a "baby" rate is offered. This price corresponds to the allocation of a cot in the majority of the accommodation of the chosen circuit. However, we cannot guarantee a baby cot in each accommodation.
- Your travel documents will be given to you as follows:
- Travel diary by email 3 weeks before departure, and other electronic documents (TokyoSkyTree e-voucher)
- Paper documents (airport transfer ticket, transportation card, Japan Rail Pass voucher) and Pocket WiFi upon arrival at the airport by our airport assistant.
Your accommodation :
- Some hotels may ask you to pay a tourist tax on arrival. This depends on the city and even the hotel, as some do not include it in the booking price. Normally, it is 200¥/night/person (about £1.37/1.93$) but can be slightly higher in 4* hotels. It must be paid in cash at the hotel reception. For traditional Japan Experience accommodations, it is included in the initial tour price.
- Room size: in Japan, a densely populated country where everything is compact, 3-star luxury hotels are of very good quality but the rooms are often quite narrow (12 to 20m2/129 sq ft to 215 sq ft) depending on the hotel. Please note the size of the single room, between 10 and 16m2 (107sq ft and 172 fq ft). For more comfort, you can choose our luxury 4* accommodation upgrade option.
- Double room: Rooms for two people in western hotels have 2 single beds (twin rooms) by default, which can usually be joined together. As an option, you can select a double room instead of a twin if you prefer a double bed.
- Single room: People travelling alone and wishing to book a single room must pay a supplement at the time of booking. The single room supplement is compulsory for orders with an odd number of participants.
- 3-person room: If there are 3, 5 or more of you and you do not select the single supplement, a triple room will be allocated to you.
- In the case of a group order (> 5 people), it is possible, depending on hotel availability, that not all members of the group will be accommodated in the same hotel. Nevertheless, we aim to keep you close.
- Names of the hotels : The names given on the site are for information only. In the event of unavailability, an establishment of equivalent standing will be scheduled. Hotels, corresponding to local standards, are given as an indication and may be changed on site for hotels of a similar category.
Your transport :
- Flights are not included in this tour. Do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to include flights in your order: Flights in economy class with stopovers or direct flights, eco-premium or business air upgrades, provincial departures or abroad: we will be able to advise you.
- The tour departure and end dates presented on this page relate to your stay in Japan. You will arrive in Japan via Tokyo (Narita or Haneda airports) and will also leave from Tokyo. You will have to leave Europe the day before and land at 6:30pm at the latest to make the most of the airport services of your tour (welcome and transfer to Tokyo). The return flight is on the same day due to the time difference, with a departure time of 9am at the earliest. Please do not hesitate to consult us for any uncertainty or need for precision in the choice of international flights.
- If the flights have been purchased by your care without the intervention of Japan Experience, it is necessary to send us by mail 1 month before your departure your flight information (flight number, airport, date and time of arrival) to allow us 'Organize your welcome and airport transfer.
- Airport transfers: The shared shuttle bus leaves from the airport and stops either in front of your hotel or at a stop located between 1 and 15 min walk from your hotel. Our airport assistant in Tokyo will drive you to the platform to take the airport transfer. Afterwards, this hotel transfer is unassisted. If you would like to be accompanied from the airport to your hotel reception please choose the option "Accompanied Airport Transfer".
- Included in your tour is a pre-paid transport card with 1500¥ loaded in advance (about £10.30 / 14.54$) (Suica or Pasmo brand); and a 3 day metro pass. These 2 cards should cover a large amount of your journeys in Tokyo. Please note: The metro pass is valid for 72 hours after the first use, until the expiry date printed on the back of the pass on this first use. This pass allows you to use all 13 of Tokyo's underground lines (Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway). The JR regional train lines are only accessible with the pre-payment card, where the journey is charged to you. When the 3-day metro pass and the 1,500¥ pre-paid transport card expire, you will have to pay for all your journeys by reloading your pre-paid transport card (in the ticket machines at all stations and metro stations. A metro ticket in Tokyo costs around £1.71 / 2.42$, depending on the length of the journey).
Your trips :
- Airport reception is in English. Your airport assistant will be waiting for you at the customs exit holding a sign with the name of the reservation. They will give you your travel documents and take you to your airport transfer. They will not accompany you to Tokyo (this is possible, but optional).
- The guided tour of Shinjuku takes place in groups of 8 people maximum, from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. In English. More details on the meeting place in your travel journal. Dinner is not planned but your guide will be able to give you their best spots.
Your meals :
- No meals are included in your package. Breakfasts which are not included in your package can be added at the reception when you arrive at the hotel. However, you will find many cafés near your hotel serving copious breakfasts, often tastier than those in the hotels, which sometimes have tight schedules and are predominantly savoury. However, if you would like to add breakfast to your offer when you make your reservation, you can select it as an option.
Your additional services:
- A pocket wifi is included in your tour. It allows unlimited high-speed internet access. Your Pocket WiFi will be given to you at the airport of arrival.
- It comes with a small booklet to operate your device (don't panic: simple operation) and a prepaid envelope to return your device at the end of your stay. Your pocket wifi will work naturally until the last day of your trip to Japan.
- A maximum of 5 devices can be connected to a pocket wifi (phone, tablet, computer).
- A single pocket wifi is provided for a circuit order of 1 to 5 people. For an order of 6 people or more, a second pocket wifi will be added automatically and at no extra cost to your reservation.
Which protection for your tour in Japan ?
At the time of your purchase, Japan Experience offers you 3 types of protection :
- Japan Experience Flex :
Free cancellation of your trip for any reason up to 35 days before your departure date with our partner Koala.
No residency or nationality requirements.
Refund: 100% of your cancellation fees (excluding airfare costs).
No reason or proof to provide. Cancellation in 1 email. Transfer made within 3 days. More informations here
- Japan Experience Protect :
Cancellation insurance before departure and on-site assistance, subject to conditions. COVID protection included.
- Japan Experience Full coverage :
All the benefits of 'Flex' and 'Protect' plans, combined.
Frequently asked questions
Our commitments as Japan Experience, Europe No. 1 travel in Japan
- The guarantee of the first tour operator specialised exclusively in Japan for 40 years
- A wide range of products to let you Experience Japan from the inside
- Competitive prices thanks to a single team in UK, Europe, USA and Japan, with no intermediaries
- Assistance available in Japan throughout your trip
- A specialised team is available 7 days a week by phone or email
- The best advice thanks to the 3,500 articles available on our website
Our other Self-Guided tours
Discover other Self-Guided tours like « City break - Tokyo tour »