Nagoya Castle 名古屋城
Main tower of Nagoya-jo.
Kinsachi on the roof of the tower in Nagoya.
Reconstruction of the palace Honmaru.
Destroyed during the Second World War, all that remained of the prestigious castle of Tokugawa was the main keep. But gradually, the palace is rising from the ashes...
Completed in 1612, it was the headquarters of the Owari branch of the powerful Tokugawa clan up to the beginning of the Meiji era (1868-1912). Proud and imposing, Nagoya-jo (Nagoya castle) overlooks the city.
But in 1945, Nagoya and its famous castle suffered the horrors of wartime bombing. The Honmaru palace, the keep... everything was destroyed.
In 1959, only the main tower was rebuilt, and the interior was converted into a museum. It contains valuable relics - paintings, swords, guns and other items - about the history of the Tokugawa clan and Nagoya castle itself.
Atop the castle, and as famous as the castle itself, the kinshachi, golden tiger-headed dolphins, watch over the city. Symbols of the authority of the feudal lord and protection against fire, they reappeared with the reconstruction of the keep .
In 2009, a major project began: rebuilding the entire castle using the era-appropriate techniques and materials of the past.Completion of the restoration project is scheduled for 2018, but part of the Honmaru palace is already accessible to visitors. One can admire the beautiful paintings on the fusuma (sliding doors) in the entrance hall, and observe the skilled craftsmen at work.