The Hiroshima and Miyajima Top 10 広島と宮島のトップ10
The memorial in Hiroshima Peace Park
Maples at Shukkei-in Garden.
Itsukushima Shrine on Miyajima
Tips from Alexis, our local Travel Angel
Unmissable places, great restaurants and local specialties: Alexis, our local Travel Angel in Hiroshima, reveals his top things to do there.
A city marked by history, and a legendary island: here's what not to miss in Hiroshima and Miyajima:
- Go to Sandankyo Gorge, where you can hike in an incredible setting. Another plus: some routes are by boat, and you can enjoy a snack at an inn perched high on the cliffs above the river.
- See Shukkei-en Garden, which still contains one of the few trees that withstood the atomic bombing.
- Visit Shappo, an amazing hat shop and a great way to learn about Japanese fashion.
- Visit the Peace Museum, a symbol of the city.
- See the memorial park at dusk.
- Try an okonomiyaki, the local specialty, at Kaapu Okonomiyaki restaurant (vegetarian okonomiyaki possible on request). Address: 1-chome 3-11, Sakaimachi, Naka-ku
- Enjoy a fruit sundae or another fruity treat at Tamaru Fruit Cafe. Address: 1-27 Naka-ku, Hondori.
On Miyajima Island, southwest of Hiroshima:
- Visit the shrine of Itsukushima in winter (January, February): The water is lovely and clear, and high tide in the afternoon provides a magnificent view of the iconic torii.
- Enjoy the superb view after the ascent of Mount Misen.
- Try the fried momiji manju of Momijido Honten. Open daily from 9am to 6pm. Address: 448-1 Miyajimacho, Hatsukaichi City, Hiroshima.
See also our house for rent in Hiroshima.