Toretore Village とれとれヴィレッジ
A unique accomodations and activities
The "Toretore Village" is made up of more than a hundred original and unique dwellings to spend a night or a whole week there to enjoy the many additional activities of the Adventure World park and its famous pandas!
For those who want to try an alternative and original accommodation, here is the Toretore Village! 2.5 hours by train from Osaka, in Toretore Park, and by the sea, you are in Nanki Shirahama. These accommodations are very special because this village is made up of around a hundred small igloo-style houses. These are nevertheless constructed of polystyrene rather than ice, less cold and more welcoming.
Built in 2009, the initial inspiration for this village comes from the yurts, dwellings of the nomadic peoples of Mongolia that they assemble and dismantle as they travel. Finally, the only resemblance with the Toretore Village is the idea of the small roundhouse because the rest is particular to this place. Another reference for manga connoisseurs, remember the Bulma in Dragonball who launched a capsule that immediately transformed into a charming little fully equipped house. Here we are because here each of the 133 houses is perfectly welcoming, with rooms sleeping 2 to 6 with traditional futons or beds. There is even the possibility of bringing your favorite pet, although this need is rare when you travel to the other side of the world. It should also be noted that each of the rooms has a different decoration, so as not to feel like the one in the house next door!
For equipment inside the houses, you will find the same as in the majority of hotels in Japan, complete and of high quality: refrigerator, air conditioning, television, kettle, hairdryer, etc.
Right next to the Toretore, you will find out why Shirahama City is nicknamed Panda City. This is because the large Adventure World amusement park and a zoo are located 10 minutes away by car. This zoo is the Japanese base of the giant panda research center in the Chengdu region of China, and it is particularly dedicated to its captive breeding and protection. Of the ten pandas currently on Japanese soil, six are in this zoo at Adventure World (the others are in Tokyo and Kobe).
The Panda Village, which opened in 2016, therefore offers 25 domes with the effigy of the big bear, on and in which the panda is omnipresent down to the smallest accessory, from indoor slippers to a teaspoon.
In addition to that…
In the Toretore village or not far, a good choice of activities and attractions are proposed to you.
- Toretore Market: The largest fish market in western Japan. All seafood is ultra-fresh with a large selection of fish from local fishing, with the best specialties of Wakayama. It is possible to buy your products there to grill them directly on the barbecue.
- Toretore no Yu: a large public bathhouse, with all types of baths and especially good rotenburo, the outdoor baths. Here's something to relax and do you good during your trip. Immersed in the warm water, you let yourself be caressed by the sea spray, your gaze lost on the blue line of the horizon. A good restaurant will end up closing your happiness.
- Toretore-Tei: a restaurant offering a buffet full of all the best in the region, and this in the morning, at noon, or in the evening.
- Kaitenzushi: the famous treadmill system so enchanting, for the palate as for the eyes, is at your disposal for a total treat. You only thought you would spend a short stay here but now all this would encourage you to extend a good week to dive into the heart of happiness, wouldn't it?
See: The chains of Kaitenzushi
- Fish. Yes, fishing! And why not? Here we suggest you rent all the necessary equipment to satisfy your favorite activity, teasing horse mackerel, sea bream, or buri (fish of the caranguidae family). To taste on the spot rather than to bring back in your suitcases!
There are also quite a few games for children, fun for all!
Also to discover: Unusual accommodation in Japan
Address, timetable & access
TimetableFrom JR Shin-Osaka station, 2h30 by "Kuroshio" train (there is even one bearing the image of the panda!) then 5 min by car or bus from JR Shirahama station. 3 hrs by coach from JR Osaka or JR Namba stations.
PriceAccommodation from 5,900 yen ($50/45€) per person.